Formulating my first IPA all-grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I'm ready to brew my second BIAB batch, and would like to make an IPA using ingredients I have on hand. If I need to run to the LHBS to pick up a small amount of a different grain, I'd be OK with that, but I'd rather not.

5.5 gallon batch. I'd like a really hop-forward beer with lots of hop aroma/flavor without over-the-top bitterness.

Here's my inventory:

-50 pounds Briess two-row
-1 pound carapils
-1 pound 15L crystal
-1 pound 60L crystal
-4 ounces maltodextrin
-5 pounds dextrose

-4 ounces azacca hops
-4 ounces jarrylo hops
-8 ounces magnum hops
-10 ounces amarillo hops
-10 ounces cascade hops

-US-05 yeast

Here's my first stab at it.

12 pounds two-row
0.5 pounds crystal 15L
0.5 pounds crystal 60L
1 ounce magnum (60 min)
1 ounce amarillo (10 min)
1 ounce cascade (10 min)
1 ounce amarillo (flame out)
1 ounce cascade (flame out)
1 ounce amarillo (dry hop)
1 ounce cascade (dry hop)

According to Beersmith, this will get me 1.062 SG (6.6% ABV), 56 IBUs, 7.4 SRM.

What do you all think?

Personally I'd go with either the C-15 or C-60 rather than both, but otherwise looks good to me. I wouldn't hesitate to bump the flame out and/or dry hop up an oz or two for big aroma.

I am always in the mindset of try it and see how it turns out but I know most people on here will knock you for too much crystal.

Personally I'd go with either the C-15 or C-60 rather than both, but otherwise looks good to me. I wouldn't hesitate to bump the flame out and/or dry hop up an oz or two for big aroma.

So would you bump up to a pound of one or the other, or leave it at 0.5 pounds of just one?

So would you bump up to a pound of one or the other, or leave it at 0.5 pounds of just one?

Again personal opinion, I would do 1/2 lb and bump up the base to keep the gravity the same. But I like relatively light, dry IPA's so if you want more crystal character ignore this.
:mug:

5% or so crystal is pretty good in an IPA, 10% just doesn't come out dry enough. I like the added flavor of the 60L but if you want a lighter color beer 15L is fine too. I think 60L will go well with the Amarillo and Cascade hops. Definitely use more Amarillo--that's one of my favorites (you can't use too much of it.)

Again personal opinion, I would do 1/2 lb and bump up the base to keep the gravity the same.

I was under the impression that crystal did not add fermentable sugars to the wort. I'll have to mess around with Beersmith to see what it says.

I was under the impression that crystal did not add fermentable sugars to the wort. I'll have to mess around with Beersmith to see what it says.

No, it will add both fermentable and unfermentable sugars. A brewer on here Nilo has some good experiments showing that with just steeping about 40-50% of the sugars you get from crystal malts are fermentable but when mashing with a base malt both the yield and the fermentability go up. But they also add color and flavor, so even if it attenuates well I like to easy on them for IPA's.

Edit: here is nilo's thread, with summary of results in posts 108 and 141.

I'd consider ditching the crystal 60 and adding some simple sugar. I like the IPAs ive tried that have munich malt in them as well.

So I ended up brewing an APA and then an Oktoberfest as my first two all grain brews. Now this is next in line (for real!). I have since gotten some Munich and Vienna, as well as some homegrown cascade and centennial hops.

I'm thinking I may use 0.5 pound of leftover Crystal 15 and some Munich along with the base of two row. What percent blend would you suggest for an American IPA? I know I should keep two row as the large majority of the hop bill, but are we talking 70%,80%, or 90%?

My initial thought is tweaking the recipe in the first post something like this:
0.5 pound Crystal 15 (3.4%)
2 pounds Munich (13.8%)
12 pounds 2-row (82.8%)
And I'll throw in the homegrown hops at flame out

What say you?

I think the recipe looks good. I actually find munich in any decent quantity too strong for me in hoppy pale ales so I don't use it in them, but I think I am in the minority on that. If you like the maltiness it brings then use it.

I'd consider ditching the crystal 60 and adding some simple sugar. I like the IPAs ive tried that have munich malt in them as well.

How much sugar would you typically add for a five gallon batch? 1/2 pound?

Latest posts

Back