Formulating graff recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
I am interested in trying graff but I want to do my own kind of recipe.

I need to know what IBU and gravity range I am looking for from the 2.5 gallon of wort that I am going to mix with 2.5 gallons of cider.

I have no idea how to determine what the final product will end up like after the dilution with cider.

I appreciate the help.

I wasnt sure where to put this since is not quite cider and not quite beer.

When I did my graff (didn't turn out the greatest but didn't give it enough time in primary and stupidly didn't do a secondary) lots of sulphur which died down after some conditioning, but just as a warning lots of sulphur came off of mine (no cider making experience so I was basically running down a dark hall way with a pair of scissors in hand).

The way I figure it, if we're doing a straight up 2.5 gallons of wort to 2.5 gallons of cider, then my idea was the IBUs would be a straight up dilution. So I would think if your 2.5 gallons of wort is 50 IBUs before the cider addition would make it 25 IBU after dilution. There shouldn't be any more isomerization since it should basically be done at that point when you add the cider.

As for the gravity, I think this should end up being an average between the two. If your wort is 1.040 and the cider is 1.050, and you're adding the two together in equal parts, I am think it should end up at 1.045. My batch was 1.050ish (3 gallons) and the 2 gallons of cider I used was about 1.052 and when I mixed them, it stayed just around 1.050.

After my graff conditioned for about 2 months it turned out pretty damn good. Its by far the ugliest beer I've ever seen though and is reserved to be poured into only stoneware because it so damn ugly. But its a tasty beer, so in terms of making a pretty beer I have no comment.

Edit: If I'm completely wrong and insane I am completely up for critique on anything I said as I would like to know more for the next time I make my graff.

We did something like this last year when we gave graff a shot: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

It turned out okay, but I think I'd want a little more beer and a little less cider taste... maybe up the gravity a bit and get some additional hops in there? I also know Anthem and other ciders are making hopped ciders - might be worth giving one of those a taste and seeing if there are clones out there.

The nice thing about graff is you can do a lot with it! Anywhere on the spectrum from fruity beer to hoppy cider should be delicious.

Could you use the cider as the base for the wort? Boil the cider rather than water, or Apple juice? Then add it cider? Just a thought may change the flavor profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just made one but i used 5 gal of cider and only adjunct grains. I wish I had used more malt for more mouth feel. Its a bit thin and tart like a cider. Much more cider than beer. Used styrian hops and british ale yeast. Primary for 2.5 weeks no secondary straight to keg and carbing now. I think it may need a week or two in the keg to calm a bit. Has a banana nose to it but tart bite almost a sour taste like a flanders bit of funk on the nose. Maybe got some wild sacs or brets got in there.

Back