Formulating a new recipe (advice needed).

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrathsU

Reaction score
Hey guys,

swmbo ordered some boxes of girl scout cookies from work the other day so I got to thinking it'd be cool to make a Thin Mint Girl Scout Stout!

I am thinking about getting a guinness draught kit from AHBS (all grain) and adding half a box of thin mints to the mash and half a box to primary. I'm not sure if this will come through in the beer so perhaps I might add a whole box to mash and whole box to primary.

I'd like the thin mint to be a lingering taste, not a mouth feel taste if that makes sense.

Does anyone see any potential problems with this brew? Does anyone think this sounds tasty? I've looked around a bit and seen brews that "taste" like a thin mint but none that have actually used thin mints.

Thanks!

Before you do it, I would check the box of thin mints to see if there are any weird stabilizers/preservatives that might interact unfavorably with the beer. Otherwise, it could be a great experiment. I will be interested to know how it goes!

Not a good idea imO. You would be better off using things you know you won't have problems with. Use cocoa powder and real mint leaves and maybe a little lactose if you want sweetness.

Got them in and read through the ingredients. Nothing that looks bad. Also per their website:

http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/cookie_faqs.asp#preservatives

So I am going to go ahead and give it a go using the following AG recipe which was based off https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/ode-arthur-irish-stout-guinness-clone-28239/:

Fermentables:
5lb 8oz British 2row Pale
4lb 2oz Flaked Barley
14oz Roasted Barley
2oz Acid Malt
1/2box Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies

Hops:
1.5oz Kent Goldings 60min

Secondary:
1/2box Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies

Planning on mashing in at 160 for an hour for a biggg body. Yes I am going to crush up the cookies and mash in with them for fun. I'll let it sit in primary for 2 weeks then transfer it to secondary and add the other half box of cookies for another 2 weeks. Then I will bottle and enjoy (hopefully) 2 weeks later.

If I remember correctly, the taste came out pretty dang good, but the body was pretty thin. I took notes at the time, but I've moved since then and have no idea where they are.

Back