Formula one season begins. Any racing fans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memorex88

Reaction score
Well the Australian Grand Prix Qualifying is on at the moment. I've been a fan all my life thanks to my Father.
Yet we (Montreal) lost our beloved GP due to money politics, I still love the sport.

Anyone else into it?

Kimi Räikkönen and Heikki Kovalainen are my boys to watch this year. With the new aero specs, slick tires, and the KERS system, this season will rock!

I'm Italian so the Ferrari team for me but I agree with this season will rock. Just the slicks are making a difference in the speeds already.

Ferrari always does great, and I love the Mc/Mds team. I think tomorrow is going to be great!

ok question is who is going to be watching it in 10 min? wooooohoooooooo cant wait. amazing that times are as good as they beating last years qualifying times by a good second and was closing in on course record shue had in 2004 of 1.242 i think is what they said.

whats crazy is Braun is back on top i think. when he took over the defunct honda tream and now signing virgin as major sponsor means the team is a force to be reckoned with.

GO MASSA!!!

was a good race. nice to see a bit of different action. how do you all think the aero changes has effected the racing? was passing easier? did you see any exciting passes? what about the rules of the bigger discrepancies in the tire compound?

for me i think having the medium and supersofts with bridgestone purposly not bringing an optimum tires was just wrong. 2 laps for the supersofts then major drops. bad bad bad. then the superlong sc period and the long delay in getting the sc deployed was just bad. good to see the ending and who was the finishers and their placement. sad to see what happened in the last couple laps as i like the young soon to be star

Where the he!! did the ol' Honda boys come from! 10th average last year to podiums this year? Virgin is going to be a "constructor" to watch this year.

I missed half the race but what I seen I liked. I find the cars look funny with the small tail wings but LOVE the fact that the slicks are back in.
They definitely are cornering faster which as I seen, makes for overtaking on the curves possible and exciting!

I've never been a fan of the KERS (boost) in any of the different auto races but I like what I seen on Sunday.

Looking forward to the Malaysian GP on Sunday, 2 GP races within a week... how cool is that :ban:

I missed half the race but what I seen I liked. I find the cars look funny with the small tail wings but LOVE the fact that the slicks are back in.
They definitely are cornering faster which as I seen, makes for overtaking on the curves possible and exciting!

I've never been a fan of the KERS (boost) in any of the different auto races but I like what I seen on Sunday.

Looking forward to the Malaysian GP on Sunday, 2 GP races within a week... how cool is that :ban:

i think back and think these things look allot more like the 80's cars

hi-mpl340001341c.jpg
the front end of course looks different but that rear wing is way like it used to be, and that front wing is so freaking wide its crazy. i bet we see a ton of wing changes this season

That was a really enjoyable race to watch. It's nice to me to see the drivers being challenged with sorting out how the new equipment works (like a front wing you can't see from the cockpit), and there was certainly plenty of exciting overtaking action (including Vettel's boneheaded move at the end, which will cost him 10 grid spaces at Sepang).

I love F1, but I'm happy to see some of the upstarts (eg Brawn) taking some press away from the Ferrari / Mclaren / Williams behemoths. I like the addition of KERS in that it (a) forces the teams to make decisions about whether to run it and pay the weight penalty, and (b) serves as a testbed for new technologies that may filter down to passenger cars in the future (although hybrids already have some regenerative braking capability).

Incidentally, I think Vettel could have taken the lead if he were running a diffuser. Let's see how many cars go out with "testing" diffusers for practice on Friday.

Lastly, Hooray for DVR! I can watch the race at a decent hour, instead of 5AM on Sunday morning.

Really lastly: Real race cars run slicks. Great move, F1, although the tire-change rules are a bit silly IMO.

it was a really fun race to watch. I think the rule changes are going to make for a lot more exciting races. there was a ton of overtaking in this race. that front wing is so wide though. I think we are going to see a lot of the getting clipped by tires this season. I'm not sure how I feel about the rules for the tires. . . the super softs are a joke. they are good for about 5 laps before they turn to crap. Ferrari took a risk by running the SS first hoping for a safety car. . . it's about the best you can really do with them. (run em first, hope for a SC - pit and get rid of them)

EDIT: I really like the introduction of KERS. there will be a lot of strategy with when and where to use that 7 second boost of 80 horse power.

That was a really enjoyable race to watch. It's nice to me to see the drivers being challenged with sorting out how the new equipment works (like a front wing you can't see from the cockpit), and there was certainly plenty of exciting overtaking action (including Vettel's boneheaded move at the end, which will cost him 10 grid spaces at Sepang).

I love F1, but I'm happy to see some of the upstarts (eg Brawn) taking some press away from the Ferrari / Mclaren / Williams behemoths. I like the addition of KERS in that it (a) forces the teams to make decisions about whether to run it and pay the weight penalty, and (b) serves as a testbed for new technologies that may filter down to passenger cars in the future (although hybrids already have some regenerative braking capability).

Incidentally, I think Vettel could have taken the lead if he were running a diffuser. Let's see how many cars go out with "testing" diffusers for practice on Friday.

Lastly, Hooray for DVR! I can watch the race at a decent hour, instead of 5AM on Sunday morning.

Really lastly: Real race cars run slicks. Great move, F1, although the tire-change rules are a bit silly IMO.

ya know i cant do recorded. well i do when i have to. but it doesnt feel the same. though FF through all the commercials that airs. but serious nothing gets me more excited then f1 live.

We had it, but when we moved decided not to pay $50/month for something that we watch so rarely.

im trying to figure out how i can stream speed so my cousin can watch it. so if i figure that out id be more then willing to let ya watch as well. that is if you have high speed.

WHAT!!! $50 a month? Holy crap??? I get it with my sports package at $5 a month!

Who's your provider?
i think she was meaning watching tv. though i do agree speedtv for any race fan. too bad they dont broadcast OTA

Back