Former Future's Black Project - native yeast blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
My GF and I just came back from our first time in Denver. Probably 50% of our trip revolved around beer. Got to see and taste at some great places (Crooked Stave, GD, Former Future, Baere, True (Trve?), etc) but I'd like to talk about Former Future as it was one of our favorites.

We happened to be there on the day of James Howat's Black Project release. Which, as best as I can tell, is his side project focusing on purely wild beers and spontaneous fermentation. As noted on the card at the brewery listing the beers, he lists his techniques at the bottom. This one caught my attention...

"Native Yeast Blend. A proprietary technique that helps remove much of the acid-producing microbes from a spontaneous culture, allowing for non-sour beers produced by the native wild yeast ecosystem."

He's also using coolships, isolated wild yeast, soleras, etc. The two beers he had with this native wild yeast strain was a saison and a dark farmhouse.

I'm curious as to this technique. If I understand it correctly, he caught wild yeast then scrubbed it of lacto, pedio, and brett? Or just the lacto and pedio, leaving any brett etc? Is this even possible on a homebrew scale? Or would this have to be done in a lab setting with equipment far out of my budget? I'm really starting to nerd out on science-y beer stuff and had not seen someone capturing wild yeast and scrubbing it clean. I talked to Howat's wife about it for a while. At least I think it was his wife. She was very knowledgeable and open about it but I'm going to reach out to him for more input. Just curious everyone else's thoughts.

Not sure what anyone can tell you about their proprietary technique. Did his wife spill the beans about it? I doubt if it is proprietary his is going to tell you about it just because you asked.

Not sure what anyone can tell you about their proprietary technique. Did his wife spill the beans about it? I doubt if it is proprietary his is going to tell you about it just because you asked.
Yeah, possibly not. But she sounded like he's pretty open about it. And has shared yeast in the past. I'm gonna see if I can snag a vial. Proprietary or not, I'm sure it's out of my capabilities. And I live 1000+ miles away so I couldn't capture Denver wild yeast if I wanted to.

Couldn't they have just put their culture on a plate and select the yeast colonies that they wanted? I'm not sure why this would need some kind of proprietary process.

I would think that anyone with skills learned in any undergrad microbiology course could do this. Probably the hardest part would be figuring out what colonies to use. Internet research or trial and error could probably take care of that.

Just because a yeast is wild, doesnt necessarily mean its a blend of bacteria. All yeast was "wild" at some point

@beergolf caught a wild yeast from a rosemary plant in NJ that produces very clean sacch-like results. It may be a blend but Its definitely not brett, lacto or pedio

There's also a small yeast company in Virginia called RVA yeast labs I checked out and they have a few wild yeasts. Some are souring, some are clean

I got some yeast from a tomato plant in KY that is definitely some blend of souring stuff. Its just a gamble. Gotta let nature do its thing, you never know what results you get.

Just because a yeast is wild, doesnt necessarily mean its a blend of bacteria. All yeast was "wild" at some point

@beergolf caught a wild yeast from a rosemary plant in NJ that produces very clean sacch-like results. It may be a blend but Its definitely not brett, lacto or pedio

There's also a small yeast company in Virginia called RVA yeast labs I checked out and they have a few wild yeasts. Some are souring, some are clean

I got some yeast from a tomato plant in KY that is definitely some blend of souring stuff. Its just a gamble. Gotta let nature do its thing, you never know what results you get.
So how do you know if wild yeast you've caught has souring bugs in it? Meaning, can you look at it under a microscope and tell? Or is it just a "pitch it and see" kind of deal? Or pitch a small amount and see if it grows a pellicle?

So how do you know if wild yeast you've caught has souring bugs in it? Meaning, can you look at it under a microscope and tell? Or is it just a "pitch it and see" kind of deal? Or pitch a small amount and see if it grows a pellicle?

I just smell and taste the starter wort after Ive built it up. Itll be pretty apparent if there is anything funky in it

Back