FORGOTTEN INGREDIENTS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruskieb

Reaction score
My name is Bruce, I'm fairly new to brewing kits, only about 5 others. The kit was white house honey ale. I unboxed and set aside all ingredients and forgot to add the 2 different hops during the boil, it has been 2 days and fermentation is quite active. can I still add the hops now and if I don't, will it make a big difference in taste?

Without the hops, you're going to have a pretty sweet, "cloying" beer. You could boil the hops in a small amount of water, remove the hops, and gently add the hop water to the fermenter, or at bottling time. But you won't get as much bitterness this way, because utilization will be lower with the smaller volume of water (compared to the volume in the original boil).

I'd just accept that you made some mistakes and there really isn't a great way to fix this beer. So just consider this a opportunity to see what this beer is like without those hops.

Brew the same recipe again and correctly and you'll have something to compare and see what differences there are.

Brew the same recipe a third time and add the leftover hops from the first to the end of the boil at 0 and you'll see what late additions will do to the flavor and experience.

I'd be unlikely to add hops in the FV if they weren't planned. And especially if this recipe didn't call for any dry hopping.

Back