Forgot which is which

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I planted a chinook and hallertau but I forgot which is which after I had to move then around a few times. Is it possible to tell them apart by looking at them?

image-2234301597.jpg

Attachments

• image-3144038992.jpg
    image-3144038992.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 192
  • image-3714253860.jpg
    image-3714253860.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 189
The one on the left looks a lot more like my Chinook than the plant on the right. I thought Chinook's had a dark reddish bine instead of a green one, but I just looked at my second year Chinook bines and they are pretty green. Last year they were definitely not green

You should be able to tell when the cones are ready to pick. Chinook cones are spiky and curved - almost like the snout on a Chinook salmon. Here is a pic of a first-year cone from that plant.

Anyone have a hallertau pic to share?

chinook-01.jpg

They were crowns so I assume they are 2 Ed year plants

I don't have a picture, but my hallertau have always been nearly spherical instead of elongated like nagmay's photo of a chinook. That doesn't help until end of season though.

I grew some Hallertau and Tett about 15 years ago and yanked them because they grew well but only produced a few handfuls of hops, just not worth it. The young leaves on both were mostly 3-lobed and the foliage was pretty dark. The Chinook I have growing is usually sort of lime-green as it begins to climb and turns darker once it's up to the top of the pole with most of the young leaves being 5-lobed and very 'blocky/square' looking from the edges to the tip as opposed to the Hall and Tett which were somewhat longer to the tip vs. width. I'd say that the plant on the left of your first picture is the Chinook. Once the cones form you'll be able to tell for sure as the picture that nagmay showed is very characteristic of Chinook with the ends of the bracts flaring outward. Grab a beer and watch them grow, should be a great year.

Yea I kinda want to pull the haller cuz I've got a trellis plan and don't really want to waste a string on a plant that does not grow well in the Georgia heat.

Back