Forgot to take OG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBuuck

Reaction score
I did a partial mash recipe for an Oatmeal Stout on Friday and totally blanked on taking my OG reading... Couple too many homebrews on brew day I suppose. Anyways, I took a reading 40 hours into fermentation and found the SG at 1.030. It seemed to be fairly vigorous fermentation so it makes sense that it might have been that low. I was looking for an OG of 1.070, does this current value seem to be possible after that amount of time? Thanks.

40 hours into it, that's possible if you pitched plenty of yeast.

If you have been fermenting on the warm side, that will also speed it along some, but at the cost of producing off-flavors and maybe even fusels.

Fermentation is probably a bit on the warm side, I have it in a swamp cooler with 6 frozen bottles on rotation, but again, didnt get it in there until about 16 hours into fermentation. Took a taster today when I took the reading and it's definitely a bit sour. Planning to let this condition in the primary for 5-6 weeks.

Back