Forgot to take a FG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killian_77

Reaction score
Im not too worried about the beer not being finished because I primaried for 6 weeks, but I would like to have the reading for calculations. Can I take a reading from the first bottle I open in 3 weeks or am I SOL?

I would think that if you opened up a bottle and let it go at least fairly flat before trying to take a reading it would work. It would at least be close( very slightly higher due to the priming sugar). Just be sure to give it a good spin to knock off whatever CO2 is still trying to cling to it.

Sure, but you need to degas it first. The dissolved CO2 will mess up the hydrometer reading (I don't know how much, but this is the popular wisdom). Fill your hydrometer and let is stand at room temp overnight. Maybe cover it with foil. I haven't done this, but I think my logic is sound.

Sure, but you need to degas it first. The dissolved CO2 will mess up the hydrometer reading (I don't know how much, but this is the popular wisdom). Fill your hydrometer and let is stand at room temp overnight. Maybe cover it with foil. I haven't done this, but I think my logic is sound.

This would be why i said to get it fairly flat before trying it and to give it a good spin to knock off the CO2 trying to cling to it. It will sure get you closer than taking a sip and guessing what your FG was don't you think?

This would be why i said to get it fairly flat before trying it and to give it a good spin to knock off the CO2 trying to cling to it. It will sure get you closer than taking a sip and guessing what your FG was don't you think?
I wasn't replying to you guy, but to the OP. Looks like I posted 10min after you, but actually I had started my reply before you posted, then got interrupted (damn job), and finished later. Yep, my post was redundant.

Latest posts

Back