Forgot to shake the carboy after I pitched the yeast....problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
When brewing my red ale, I pitched the yeast and I didn't shake the carboy to distribute the yeast. Fermentation began very quickly this time around and it was quite aggressive. About 12-15 hours after I pitched the yeast I already had 2-3 bubbles per second. Now, less than 48 hours later it has slowed down to one bubble every three seconds. The kraussen layer has already started to fall.

Just now I shook the carboy just a little to hopefully move the yeast around (I had the rubber stopper and airlock on the whole time, so no oxygen was introduced). Was I wrong in doing this? Also, will I get a complete fermentation considering I didn't mix up the yeast?

I have decided on doing secondary fermentation this time around. When I transfer, the yeast should be able to ferment any of the additional sugar it may have missed. What do you guys think?

I never stir the yeast in, just put it on the top and then close it up.

I wouldn't shake the fermenter now, unless you're using extremely flocculant yeast or if the fermentation becomes stuck at too high a FG. You want the fermentation to finish up, and then the yeast and other stuff (like coagulated proteins and things) will fall to the bottom.

If you are planning on racking to a clearing tank ("secondary"), wait until fermentation is completely finished by making sure the FG is reached, before racking it. See this thread for more information: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43014

You should be fine. Just last night I pitched my yeast for a Brown Ale ( I rehydrated first, which was a first for me) and its fine. I agitated it alilttle and it has started to ferment in about 9 hours. You should be fine, especially if it is showing signs it has started fermentation.

Let's clear something up here - if you're shaking the carboy prior to fermentation, the intent is to aerate the wort, NOT to mix up the yeast. You could just dump the yeast into the wort in one big clump, and it would figure out where the sugar is.

RDWHAHB! And read up on aeration.

Also, I read either here, Gotmead.com, or heard on Basic Brewing radio, that if you introduce more oxygen during active fermentation you are just fueling the yeast. Take that for what it's worth.

Now that I think about it, I probably read that on Gotmead.com cause the yeast needs as much help as it can get when eating the honey...

:tank:

Yuri_Rage said:
Let's clear something up here - if you're shaking the carboy prior to fermentation, the intent is to aerate the wort, NOT to mix up the yeast. You could just dump the yeast into the wort in one big clump, and it would figure out where the sugar is.

RDWHAHB! And read up on aeration.

Good to know. I believe I aerated it plenty. I strained it through a stainless steel strainer, and then carried the carboy all the way from the kitchen to my outside garage without the airlock on, making sure to slosh it back and forth as I go.

Hi,
I do not recommend aerating once you have active fermentation going. The yeast uses up most of the remaining oxygen during the growth phase and switches to active fermentation once the oxygen is gone.

Introducing oxygen after the active phase has started can result in oxidization of the beer as opposed to additional growth.

Cheers!
Brad

Back