Forgot to make priming sugar solution!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason1781

Reaction score
I just bottled my 3rd brew. I was so excited about it I forgot to make a priming sugar solution and poured the sugar straight into the bucket of beer. I put the lid on and shook it up for about 3 minutes.

I am worried that my beer will not carbonate, or some bottles will have a lot of carbonation and others will have none. It has been 45 minutes since bottling and I don't see the yeast workig yet. Am I just being paranoid or should the beer be ok?

the reason you typically make a solution is to sanitize the sugar. You're risking infection, but you'll be ok, I'll bet.

Also, it'll take weeks not minutes so relax.

There is a small chance I belive but I think most likely you should be okay. Anyways, the alcohol in your beer will kill off some of the bacteria in the sugar too.

Usually we try and avoid any aeration after the yeast is pitched. Another plus to making a priming solution is to dissolve the sugar. Usually the solution is poured in the bucket and the beer is racked on top. It will mix itself no shaking required.

If I made that mistake I am not sure I would have come up with a better solution.

Why would you not want to aerate the beer after the yeast has been pitched? I figured shaking the beer to mix up the sugar would help the yeast get started for priming.

Jason1781 said:
Why would you not want to airate the beer after the yeast has been pitched? I figured shaking the beer to mix up the sugar would help the yeast get started for priming.
Oxydation. You don't want it, it is what makes beer yucky. Oxygen is good at the begining of fermentation because the yeast use it to devide. Once the fermentation is done, the oxygen just sits dissolved in the beer and will actually chemically react with other compounds in there, giving an off flavor...

Read This:
http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

You are introducing oxygen into the beer... O2 will stale your beer and give it off flavors. I would be alot less worried about the carbonation and the small risk of infection and much more worried about aerating your beer that much after fermentation.

During conditioning, there is so little actual fermentation going on that the yeast do not need extra O2... and they will not be active enough to clean up all of that O2. DONT DO THAT AGAIN!!! Relax, just don't do that with future brews. Rack the beer into the sugar and you will be fine, no shaking.

If you ever just add the sugar to the bucket, just gently stir to dissolve. Dextrose dissolves quite easily, so it wouldn't take much. However, as the others said, you do better to make a priming solution and rack onto it.

You should expect oxidation in that beer, so drink it up fast. :)

And, it will take a good three weeks to carbonate.

TL

Man, I answered this late last night and then I thought to myself, "No, dummy, it is to make it dissolve easier and shaking will aerate the beer!" (myself being the dummy in this situation!)

I'm glad people here brought it up because I came back on just to add that.

Hi

I forgot to add the spray malt and sugar to my Cooper's IPA kit until I had already topped up the barrel to 20 litres. I added the sugars and stirred well before adding the yeast...I covered it and set the airlock....no action in the airlock yet (6hrs ago)

Have I spoiled the batch?

Any help appreciated

Back