Forgot to dump in all of the priming solution ... what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helgoes

Reaction score
When bottling (5 gal. of pumpkin beer) this morning, I always mix my priming solution in while my bottling bucket is filling up to make sure it's mixed thoroughly. However, I forgot to dump in the the last amount and bottled the beer anyways.

My priming solution is 2 C. water boiled with 2/3 C. corn sugar. I had exactly 2/3 C. of priming solution left over ... meaning I probably got about 60-70% of it in the bottles.

Is it worth it to crack open all of the bottles, mix the beer together with some more priming solution, or would 1+ C. of priming solution be enough for a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks in advance for the comments. My first, and last, time ever making this mistake.

I would leave it alone. They will still carb, but just won't be what you were going for. For all you know, they could taste better with a little less sugar (or what you added could be enough for what you wanted, who knows). You could always plug in the reccipe in some software like Beer Smith and find out what it MAY equate to.

You don't want to open the bottles and risk infection, oxidation or even adding too much priming sugarr.

It's not worth opening the bottles. It will probably be fine. Anyway, I think 80% of people 5 gallon batches are probably more like 4.5 by the time it's in the bucket, so if that is true for you you're even more fine.

I usually use 5oz (by weight) for 5 gal.
I don't know how that converts to volume (2/3 cup)...

It will most likely be undercarbed, but have some fizz.

By opening your bottles, pouring them in the bucket & redoing, I think you'll risk worse issues.
You'll likely oxidize the beer, which I think is worse then a somewhat undercarbed beer.

elHelgo said:
Thanks for all of the quick replies. I'll just leave it alone and hope in two weeks it "pops" when I open it.

You're going to want to refrigerate it well before drinking, especially with the low carbonation. You need all that Co2 in the headspace of the bottle to dissolve in the beer, and that happens much more affectively at low temperatures.

Back