forgot to airiete whort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronrad

Reaction score
the last batch of beer i brewed i forgot to airiete the wort after adding the yeast. I remembered the next morning but it was alreadly bubbling away so i figured it would be ok.

this batch of beer started out with a gravity of 1.07. it finished at 1.017, way higher than any beer i have brewed in the past. I used windsor yeast and i am used to using notingham yeast, I am not sure if the yeast caused the high finish or the not arieating. The turb was half the size im used to and runny. It seemed a bit dark but i used kit from a company i have never tried before and there dark malt was the darkest I have seen.

Since there was not much turb i had extra beer so i have plenty to taste it tastes pretty close to what i would expect.

should i pitch some yeast in it and let it sit or just leave it in the keg and hope for the best.

Well if your gravity readings are correct, you've got 7.1% alcohol by volume. I would think that beer is done with the bulk of fermentation.

Not every brew you make is going to end up at 1.012. Underpitching and aeration/oxygenation certainly can have an affect, but yeast strains have different degrees of attenuation (how much they'll eat) and different brands of extract can have varying levels of unfermentables too.

Given those figures, you're looking at 74.62% apparent degree of fermentation (ADF) . Sounds done or very close. If you want you can try swirling the fermenter a little to get the yeast back in suspension but personally I'd call it done. :mug:

That is over 75% apparent attenuation. Windsor is advertised as a moderately attenuating yeast.

76% attenuation is perfectly reaonable. The FG is higher than your other beers because (I'm guessing) the SG was higher than anything you've made?

Once you get into the higher SG's, you need to include more feremtable adjuncts (corn sugar, honey, table sugar etc.) if you want a drier FG.

Back