Forgot to add the corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

five0three

Reaction score
Brewers best Pacific Coast Ipa kit. A week later I was transcribing my notes into a binder and I realized I didn't use the included 1lb of corn sugar in my kit. Tell me what this means.

This mean it will probably be lower abv than expected.

Corn sugar (dextrose): Derived from corn. Used primarily for bottle priming but also for increasing gravity of beer without changing color or flavor.

Assuming...that was actually a part of the recipe and not for bottling/carbonating that came with the kit?

Was the sugar supposed to go in the boil or was it for priming? If you forgot the priming sugar, you are going to end up with flat beer. Remedy would be add a Domino sugar cube to each bottle and re-cap.

You could add it now if you wanted to. I'm assuming you didn't check your gravity before pitching your yeast or you would have noticed it was lower than expected.

If you do choose to add it now I would wait another week or so before bottling.

If it's still in the fermenter you may be able to still add it. Perhaps dissolve it in a little bit of water, boil it, cool it, then add it in. If it's only been a week the yeast are probably still active.

This wasn't for bottling, it was supposed to be part of the boil.

Tell me what adding cause sugar as opposed to to corn sugar would net me. I'm a ways away from corn sugar and I threw away what I had.

This all came from me thinking the included corn sugar was for bottling. I intend to keg so I thought it wasn't a necessity. Dangit.

Tell me what adding cause sugar as opposed to to corn sugar would net me. I'm a ways away from corn sugar and I threw away what I had.

This all came from me thinking the included corn sugar was for bottling. I intend to keg so I thought it wasn't a necessity. Dangit.

Ah, this makes since now..dangit!

https://beerandbrewing.com/VJNVzycAACUAmRye/article/brewing-with-sugar

Dextrose (corn sugar): Most commonly used as a bottle priming agent, dextrose in the boil can lighten body, boost alcohol, and dry out big beers. Corn sugar yields 42 gravity points per pound per gallon (ppg) and is 100 percent fermentable.

Sucrose (table sugar, beet sugar, or cane sugar): Good old-fashioned table sugar can be used in place of corn sugar as a priming agent or as a wort constituent, is available everywhere, and is inexpensive to boot. It yields 46 ppg and is 100 percent fermentable, so use 10 percent less by weight than you would corn sugar.

If it's only been a week you can add it to the fermenter now. Honestly you can pour it in dry, but if you really want to, you can boil it in a small amount of water, let it cool, then add it. This way you make sure to kill any bugs, this is what I would do.

Adding sugar straight to the fermenter, although not common, can be done to help restart a stalled fermentation and even achieve a lower FG by keeping the yeast active and interested.

Leave it alone and proceed as normal. Your OG was about 7 points lower than it should have been. So it's a little less alcohol.

But why would you throw away a full pound of anything?? Haha.

Just let ride without the sugar. It will end up a little lower ABV but omitting the sugar will not affect the taste. Or use table sugar. Should have the same effect.

Ride it out. Keep the sugar.

You can use the sugar in another batch sometime or just keep it for bottling.

All the Best,
D. White

If it's only been a week you can add it to the fermenter now. Honestly you can pour it in dry, but if you really want to, you can boil it in a small amount of water, let it cool, then add it. This way you make sure to kill any bugs, this is what I would do.

Adding sugar straight to the fermenter, although not common, can be done to help restart a stalled fermentation and even achieve a lower FG by keeping the yeast active and interested.

You also could boil it in a small amount of water and dump it in hot. It will kill a few million yeast cells...out of the billions that are in there. It's unlikely you will notice any difference either way.

Little update, I decided to not mess with it as its my first brew and so far, appears to not be infected. I'm not particularly after a specific ABV, so as long as it doesnt drastically affect the flavor, I think i'll be satisfied. Thanks for the advice!

You'll be fine and a good decision to leave it be. Color and taste won't be affected. You'll simply have the problem of being able to consume more of them with the lower alcohol level. Terrible problem to have...

Back