Forgot To Add Maltodextrin, No Big Deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGeekGuy

Reaction score
Did an LME porter kit today, with steeping grains, 6.5lbs of LME and 8oz of maltodextrin. I forgot to add the maltodextrin. Other than a few points less OG, what else am I losing?

Head retention ad mouth feel maybe. That is important to me.

Could you boil up enough water to dissolve it, cool the solution off and add it in. Have you got room in your fermentor to leave adequate head-space?

I've only brewed once with Malto, but I think you can still add it at anytime during the fermentation, without any issue. I would just boil it for 15 mins in a cup or water or so, let it cool, then add it. I believe it just adds some mouthfeel to the finished beer, as well as some residual sweetness.

From wiki:

Maltodextrin is sometimes used in beer brewing to increase the specific gravity of the final product.[4] This improves the mouthfeel of the beer, increases head retention and reduces the dryness of the drink. Maltodextrin has no flavor and is not fermented by the yeast, so does not increase the alcohol content of the brew.

My understanding is it can be added at any time. Boil a little water, take it off the heat, and add the malto. Stir to get it as dissolved as it will get and add to the brew. I don't think there is a need to boil the malto at all, I would be afraid of making syrup.

Thanks to all. Boiled up a couple cups of water, took off flame, added malto and stirred until dissolved. Cooled in ice bath to 70F, popped the fermenter lid and gently stirred in. Just another Homer moment, doh!

Would you like to share your porter recipe?

No secret, it was a Brewers Best Pumpkin Spiced Porter kit. I only used .5 oz of the 1.5 oz spice package, quite a few people that used the whole package said the spices overpowered the beer and ruined it. We'll see how it is in about three weeks.

You can also add it at bottling, FYI.

That way you can sample it just before to see if it needs a little body boost. Sometimes mine do, sometimes not. I like options.

Yeah I keep some on hand for use in bottling if a beer turns out a bit thin with the mouthfeel.

Back