Quantcast

Forgot to add corn sugar - add it now?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BeerNewbie

Reaction score
I made a quick beer yesterday using a can of Munton's hopped malt extract. I added a pound of Golden Light DME and a pound of Pilsen Light DME (kind of like a MW 20-min boil kit). I was going to also add a cup or two of corn sugar to help with the gravity and fill it to 5.5 gal.

I filled it to 5.5 gal, and couldn't figure out why the gravity was only 1.046. Then, this morning, I remembered I didn't add the corn sugar like I planned.

Can I still add the corn sugar? If so, how? (Boil up two cups water per cup of sugar?) Also, anyone have a recommendation as to how much I should add?

Is there a math equation/program to find out how much the sugar will raise the beginning gravity after I add it?

Ballistic

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind knowing the answer too, I bet you can add sugar at any point in primary.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
One pound of sugar will yield 8 points.

You can add it any time. Mix it with 2 cups of water and stir to dissolve. Bring to a gentle boil for 2-3 minutes. Cool to 70 degrees (or so) and mix in gently.

HotbreakHotel

Reaction score
If your yeast isn't going yet it's no problem at all. If the yeast is already going, just be a little careful. I think it will be fine.

TheTower

Reaction score
I will also be doing this in a couple days with a batch that I undershot the beginning gravity on. Two cups of water is enough to dissolve 1 pound of corn sugar? Also, if I understand correctly, oxidation at this point isn't a big deal, right? Since the yeast is still undergoing fermentation, they are in need of oxygen, so no off-flavors?

john from dc

Reaction score
Any easy way of doing this with a carboy? Is it OK that it may splash a little dropping from my funnel?
i've always just dumped it in there, and had great results. i wouldn't worry about a little splashing from the funnel. i've also never stirred or mixed in any way, fermentation creates enough circulation in there to get a good mix.

SumnerH

Reaction score
Just try not to splash too much and don't worry about what little normal splashing you get from funneling it in. 2 cups of water should be enough I'd think. If you can, add it at high krausen.

And remember to tell everyone that you didn't forget to add it--you decided to do "incremental feeding" to let the yeast process more complex sugars before feeding them the dextrose. It's an advanced technique.