Forgot to add 1lb it DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCoonigan

Reaction score
So I was doing a bit of a rush job on an extract box I got as a Christmas gift ( I do mostly original recipes these days but my of got me a kit that I just hadn't gotten around to). As the description says, after closing up the fermentor for the day, realized I missed a bag of DME. I was thinking about just boiling it up in some water and adding it to the secondary with a little safe ale for good measure. Anyone ever try this? Or have better solutions to similar issues? Thanks for any help and scahahb!!

Boil it up (maybe not even to a boil, 160 for 10 seconds for pasteurization) and add it to primary. Your primary will have all the yeast needed to ferment it out. Don't bother to use a secondary unless you plan on a second fermentation for adding some fruit.

160 is probably enough to pasteurize it. But, to be totally on the safe side I would bring it to a boil. I would not leave it at a boil for any length of time. Also only use enough water to totally dissolve the DME otherwise you will be diluting the beer.

Also, one more quick note. Been a hectic to days since my brew day so I'm only getting it in now. There's still some krausen on top of the beer but it looks like the heavy fermenting is done. Will the little DME mix kick it back up?

Back