Forgot the Starsan!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
Ok, I've learned over the last year of brewing not to drink (too much) on a brew day. I deliberately start the day sober and will not partake until the grains are in sach's rest.

So, while perfectly sober, I set up a tote with 5G of water and forgot to put Starsan in it. The entire day, I 'sanitized' various items with tap water. My thermometer (over and over again), brew paddle, mash tun, hops packets, air lock and finally fermenting bucket.

Not one item, the entire day was sanitized.

That was one week ago. This unsanitized IPA is still sitting in my ferm chamber. I can either dump it or I can secondary next week with additional hopping in three weeks.

What do you think? Should I dump or carry on?

I'm worried about infection, permanently infecting my primary bucket, getting sick when I drink the IPA, giving my friends diarrhea.

Is it infected? Ride it out and see what happens. If it looks smells and tastes normal why not continue

Damn, that sucks. Changing routines overnight always complicates matters.
What puzzles me is that the lack of foam didn't tip you off. And there is a certain smell to Starsan too when you get it on your hands.

Did you look inside yet, check the progress, and see if there are any fuzzies growing in it? Take a sample with sanitized equipment? Maybe it's just OK.

Didn't even think about the foam until I transferred the 'sanitizer' from the tote to a carboy for use in the next brew session.

Funny, no bubbles? Noooo!

I bet it won't be infected, if things were clean before being sanitized. I'm always surprised how much boneheadedness my beers tolerate.

Did you pitch a healthy amount of yeast? Perhaps they'll get in there, size up those little bacterial b-tards and kick their butts.:rockin:

Did you know that back in the 1500's they made beer without airlocks or sanitizer and didn't even know what made it ferment and they drank it because it was safer than water? Why worry?

Now about the other issue, it has been mentioned that nobody has posted a picture of infected beer in the primary. All the infections posted seem to be in the secondary. Are you sure you want to move your beer to secondary to dry hop? Dry hopping works in the primary fermenter just fine as long as you wait until all fermentation activity is done.

Why would you dump it?

Either it's infected or it isn't. Dumping it's not going *prevent* anything. And it'll waste good beer if it isn't infected.

Back