Forgot the oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
So I brewed an oatmeal stout last Friday.. I just walked into my grain room and realized I forgot the bag of oats to put in my bucket after milling the grain.. This was an all grain batch.. I had one person tell me to "dry hop the oats in the secondary" what do you all think about that or should I just save them for another brew??

think you've got to mash the oats. I'd save 'em for your next batch and rename the last one. I don't see how dry hopping would help at all, but someone else probably knows the science behind it. best of luck.

Don't add oats without mashing, because you don't want the starch in the beer.

My advice would be to live with it. This will have some negative effect on mouth feel and final gravity, but you could add an appropriate amount of malodextrin to compensate (boiled in water)

Lol I think I'll hold off and put it in another batch this beer will actually be a chocolate peanut butter stout / porter it's right in the line hard to classify

Back