Forgot the oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de5m0mike

Reaction score
So, I had the oats separate from the rest of my grain bill, since they didn't need to be crushed, and when it came time to brew I forgot to put them in the mash. I had already finished up an hour long mash and was getting ready to start the boil when I realized I had forgotten them. I wasn't sure what to do so I killed the flame and threw them in. Since I do brew in a bag and had already emptied my bag of the grains I was able to throw it back in with just the oats. So I just let them steep in the bag around 190 degrees for another 20-30 min. I know thats pretty hot but i didn't think it would matter much since it was just oats and no grain. After that I pulled the oats and finished up the batch the same as usual.

Any idea what i should expect from this batch? I've pretty much given up on it, but I'm letting it ferment out just in case. Not sure if it matters but it was an oatmeal stout. Shooting for about 8%.

I an on my phone so no link but the mad fermentationist just had a post about adding them to the boil. Look it up! :)

I’ve been disappointed with the technique so far. It contributed to the high FG, 1.019, but it doesn’t have the thick creamy body that I was expecting. It has a bit of a tannic thing, although I’m not positive that is a result of the oats, or if it is an artifact of the combination of the water profile and roasted grains. For the next iteration I’ll be pulling the oats out of the boil and adding a lot more of them to the mash.

Interesting to hear if you run into a similar issue.

It may have a little less body. In my novice recipe experience I would add 1/4 lb of maltodextrin per lb of oats

Back