forgot some hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ackgod

Reaction score
I just discovered after cleaning up my first time making wort that i didn't add all of the hops that the extract kit called for and i'm wondering how my beer will end up and if i should dry hop with the forgotten hops. Here is the recipe i was following. the hops i forgot to add were 1oz of the willamette hops at 60mins (there were two, 2oz bags and one was hidden under a box and I didn't realize there were two bags).

ESB

Specialty Grains

1 lbs. Simpsons Crystal
Fermentables

3.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 60 min.)
3.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 15 min.)
Boil Additions

2 oz. Willamette (60 min)
1 oz. Kent Goldings (15 min)
1 oz. Kent Goldings (5 min)
If you choose dry yeast

Any incite would be appreciated.

edit - This has been in the primary for 8 days now and for the record i enjoy a hop filled beer much more than a malty one AND the other mistake with this was that when i went to take the hydrometer reading i found that it was broken when it was shipped to me (glass was broken) and so i couldn't take an O.G. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well.

It sounds like your beer will be about half as bitter as intended.

You might try a hop tea, boiling the hops in 1-4 quarts of water for an hour and straining them out, then adding the water to the fermenter after cooling. This shouldn't affect your ABV or overall flavor too badly and would probably be the best way to increase your IBUs.

Or, wait for some of the more experienced folks around here, I've only been in homebrew about a year :)

I appoligize in advance for what i'm about to post.

If your a hop head and are expecting a nice bitter ESB then you will be dissapointed. There is no recouping those IBU's. When you boil the wort for 60 mins with the hops you get a good clean bittering and good utilization. The best you can hope for now is that your flavor addition at 15 mins added enough bitterness to balance your malt. Because you used brewing crystals (which i think are like sugar?) your beer might dry out a little and make that bitterness more apparent. However because it's an extract batch your FG will probably finish a little high. This will make your beer noticiably sweet.

The suggestion of hop tea is great for those who forget the aroma hops at the end as hop tea is often used instead of regular dry hopping but i wouldn't expect a bitter ESB. I am sorry.

Good thing is you still have a beer that will probably be good just not what you were hoping for and now you have the excuse to brew another batch!! Good luck!

Making a hop tea for extra bittering does work. Two quarts of water will be enough. You could use some of the beer. Either way you reduce the ABV, but by using the beer, you don't dilute the malts.

Making a hop tea for extra bittering does work. Two quarts of water will be enough. You could use some of the beer. Either way you reduce the ABV, but by using the beer, you don't dilute the malts.

Hop tea will add some bitterness if you add huge amounts of water that will dillute your beer making it much thinner. I would say use this beer to blend with another beer like you said is much better option. I've only used and been told by many people only to use small amounts of water in hop tea and that hop tea should strickly be used for aroma hops?

Back