Forgot one of my fermentables in the boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersteiner2345

Reaction score
So I just brewed the AHS Belgian Strong Ale Extract + Specialty grains today.

I missed where I was supposed to add 4.5 oz corn sugar to the beginning of the boil.

I still managed to hit my target gravity with just the 8 lbs of DME, but I seem to remember the corn sugar dries it out pretty well.

Yeast was pitched about 45 minutes ago.

Should I:

A. Pitch the corn sugar into the wort right now?
B. Dissolve the corn oil in a cup of water and pour it into the wort?
C. Leave it out?

Leaning toward B, but could use some direction...

I actually did this exact same thing on my first brew, A black IPA kit. I forgot to add the corn sugar. I came on here, the next morning after I brewed, and asked what to do. People said to just add it to the primary and not worry about it. The beer came out fine. I had a few weird tasting brews but it wasn't from adding the corn sugar late.

Edit: I put it in a cup of water and boiled it, cooled it then added it to the primary :)

One more Edit lol: If you leave it out you'll just have a lower abv. It will still be beer!

You'll want the dryness from the corn sugar.

Go with B but remember to boil solution for ~10 minutes to kill off any bugs.

Well, this one almost became even more interesting.

Letting the corn sugar cool off in an ice bath, I accidentally dropped a whole dried habanero in it!!!! Not only that, I didn't notice, so the pepper had started to soften.

So I pitched that batch out. Started over, this time I will add 9 oz corn sugar too since the 4.5 oz did, indeed, seem a little light for a Belgian Strong Ale. Especially one this big as my OG was 1.075.

Yeah. I know I know. I suppose one habanero in 5 gallons wouldn't have been a big deal. I was thinking something almost similar to Stone's 2011 Vertical Epic with their chili Belgian, which I loved.

But I threw it out. Maybe next time. I am sorry beer Gods. :)

Back