Forgot my 30 minute hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial stout last night and forgot the 30 minute hop additions (0.5 oz each of Amarillo and Centennial). I remembered the 1 oz of Centennial FWH and the 0.5 oz each of Amarillo and Centennial at flameout. According to BeerSmith, it's the difference between 33 and 54 IBUs. What do you think I should do (or not do)?

Personally I would just accept the mistake and not worry about it, but if you want it to be exact to your recipe then one thing you can do is boil some water on the stove, add the hops for 30 mins and then pour it into the fermenter.

Whoops! Oh well. I've forgotten hop additions, nutrients, spices, 30% of my grain bill, etc. and every time I've wound up with good beer.

RIS's are so rich and complex, I'm absolutely certain that one little omission won't change it much and you'll still wind up with an awesome beer.

I wouldn't sweat it, use the hops in something else. Dry hopping would be my normal action, but I'd let a RIS ride as is.

Back