Forgot last hop addition.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYShooterGuy

Reaction score
Made a Fat Tire Clone. Drank WAY TOO many homebrews as I was brewing. My notes are illegible, broke the floating thermometer in the boiling wort, forgot to add the last .64 oz. of Fuggle hops at flameout.

Fell down the stairs on my ass, broke my coccyx...again. Wife had to tell me the rest of the night. She helped me with topping up the wort to 5 gallons, and I flooded the kitchen. She told me I still had proper sanitation with pitching the yeast. I never took a hydrometer reading.

After cleaning up, seeing the airlock is bubbling and repackaging the hops, my only concern now is taking it easy with sitting and bending, but also the hops that didn't get added.

Wife suggested dry hopping. I originally thought boiling water, flameout, add the small amout of hops, cool and add to the fermenter.

Suggestions?

Most floating thermometers would not be mercury, however.. Many still contain lead.
If the thermometers colored line is Red then it is most likely Alcohol, silver is mercury.

Red floating thermometer with steel balls (checked with magnet). Other then the glass shards, not harmful to ingest.

Also, I imagine it's way easier to nurse a busted ass when you don't have to finish out your brew day.

I busted it durring the boil. I left the pot to upstairs.

*on a side note: I visted my LHBS, bought a replacement thermometer.

It didn't even make it out of the bag it left the store in. Absentmindedly (and sober), dropped an entire case of frozen water bottles from the trunk onto it in the kitchen.

I can't get a break even when I'm not drinking.

NYShooterGuy, based on your name, if your other hobby involves firearms, I hope for your sake it goes more smoothly than this brewing hobby 😊

xBox Live handle that carried over into almost all forum based websites. Never had a problem consuming intoxicants and playing Call of Duty.

Good thing you didn't take a hydrometer reading or I'm guessing you would be replacing that too.

Ha! I totally know what it's like to sample a few too many homebrews whilst making new homebrews. Overflowing the washing machine with immersion chiller discharge has been my worst screw up (knock wood). Although, I've had many minor mishaps.

I would dry hop the beer, come up with a clever name (Busted Ass Ale?), and thank God for such an understanding wife.

Hell, the dry hopped version might be better than the original.

This is why I try to limit myself to 1-2 on brew day. I'm always worried I'm going to drop 6 gallons of boiling wort on myself.

Good on your wife though. Mine would have probably just laughed at me.

I wait until after I've dropped by bittering addition in. I'm usually a fairly slow drinker unless friends stop by or I'm BBQing, maybe 1 an hour or so, but mine are mostly above 5.3% and up to 7% on average... I did have problems when I began drinking from the get go, but it was more with forgetting to do things.

I would dry hop the beer, come up with a clever name (Busted Ass Ale?), and thank God for such an understanding wife.

Hell, the dry hopped version might be better than the original.

Any advice for killing any wild yeast or bugs that may have added themselves to the hop pellets while sitting on the counter top all night?

If I dryhop, I don't want any more issues with this disaster of a brew.

Any advice for killing any wild yeast or bugs that may have added themselves to the hop pellets while sitting on the counter top all night?

If I dryhop, I don't want any more issues with this disaster of a brew.

I have never had any issue with this. Just toss em in.

I haven't left mine exposed, but I've not heard of this being an issue.

Hops are naturally anti-microbial. That's one of the original purposes of using hops in beer. Chuck 'em in!

Back