Forgot Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crouchingwombat

Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed a batch a while ago and it's time to put it in the keg. We forgot to get the Irish Moss at the home brew store and couldn't get it while we brewed.
So my beer is pretty cloudy and I want to clear it up a bit. My question is, can I use a coffee filter over my normal filter when I keg it to reduce some of the sediment or will it take away from the flavor?

Thanks for any advice.

i bet it would take forever to filter through the coffee filter. i would try gelatin or crash cooling to try and clear it up.

+1, I'd just crash cool it for a day or two if you can. It will clear even more in the keg anyway once it's cooled to serving temp for a few days.

Or.... let it be cloudy. If it bothers you drink it from a stien so you can't see it.

Any type of filtering will take "something" away from the flavor. What, is harder to account for.

Unless you are competing with this brew I say "fuhgitabowtit" and let the turbid aesthetic serve as a reminder to use the moss next time.

awesome, thanks for the replies. I have no problem with a cloudy beer, all of mine have been cloudy or too dark to see through. I was just slightly disappointed when I noticed we forgot the Irish moss because this one has a really nice color to it. Oh well no big deal. I always crash cool my beers because I force carb them so hopefully it will clear up a bit, if it doesn't I just learn from my mistakes.
Thanks.

Back