Forgot Black Patent... Still Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sittingturbo

Reaction score
So I got home from the local brew shop, and realized I forgot to write down .5 lb of black patent malt.

My recipe has:

9.5 lb. 2-row
.75 victory
.75 chocolate
.5 crystal 80L

forgot

.5 Black patent

So my question is do I mash without it? I will still fall into the guidelines of color w/o it, but what about my flavor? I have never made a all-grain stout so I am not sure what to do...

If I wait to buy the .5 lb of black patent, i have to wait till after work on tue, because my shops closed sun and mon.

sittingturbo said:
Oops forgot the most important part. It's a Oatmeal stout
I think your fine. My oatmeal stouts don't use black patent. It's an extremely strong (roasty bitter) grain. Sub in some additional oats (quick oats) to make up the gravity.

sittingturbo said:
Sadly I don't I only got enough for this recipe. I do however have 55 pound of 2 row left.
If it were me....I'd sub in 1/2 pound of quick oats from the grocery store. Might as well increase the mouthfeel if you're having to modify the recipe a bit.

I think the worst that will happen is that your beer might look *redish* if you hold a glass of it up to a light bulb. Nothing to worry about.

ChrisKennedy said:
I think you forgot something else besides the black patent for your oatmeal stout.

The last oatmeal stout I made had oatmeal in it.

Blender said:
I don't think I would makea stout without some roasted barley. It just won't be the same.
I agree. I tend to think that roasted barley is sort of what makes a stout a stout. Without that, it seems you're making something more like a brown ale.

It does have a pound of Flaked Oats, I just didn't include it since I am not getting any of my color from it.

I think I will hold off, since this is my first stout, I want it to be black... I hate not being able to do something when I want to, but I guess, I will have to practice self restraint.

Thank you guys for your input.

You could make it and then make a tea from the roasted barley later in the week. RB doesn't benefit from mashing.

Back