Forgot a grain addition - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonhijack

Reaction score
So I just brewed this recipe:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrec...rn-river-brewing-company-cybi-podcast-version

But for some reason did not include the Crystal 10! The sample tasted fine, but I woke up this morning after brewing it yesterday and realized my mistake. Anyone have any thoughts on what this might change in terms of taste and characteristics? I plan to rebrew this soon with the RIGHT ingredients, so I can see for myself what I did wrong :) Oh, but I did overshoot gravity, I ended up with OG of 1.078.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 'impact' would be a slightly lower SRM (10L is not adding a lot of color), and since crystal/caramel impart some unfermentable sugars into the wort you may have a (probably slightly) less sweet beer, and depending on the amount you may drop a few point of gravity...

What percentage of the mash was C10?

I think the finished beer might have a bit less body without the C10, but hardly perceptible. And I'm not saying that's either a good or bad thing. In fact, if I were brewing this recipe I probably would have cut the crystal in half or omitted it entirely on purpose.

I brew sort of like I cook; after awhile you get a sense for things and you either sub things in or leave them out altogether. I was trying to brew an ESB clone, and my SRM was off so I tossed in some Victory. Turned out to be my best homebrew result. I have 12 bottles left and I will be sad to see them go. I definitely will keep adding the Victory...

Personally I like the looks of that recipe better without the C-10. The C-10 plus the carapils seems like too much crystal for a DIPA, then you've also got honey malt for sweetness.

Back