Forgot a blow off tube, then left town for a week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
When I got back after 6 days I had a seepage. Not a total explosion as the airlock and lid were still on the carboy. However the airlock was full of krausen instead of sanitized water and there it had spilled down the side of the carboy.

Will there be any ill effects on my beer due my forgetfulness?

I doubt it did any harm. There is enough good yeast and co2 in there that it'd be hard for anything to take hold at this point. Especially if the lid was still on.

Even if there is, though. What can you do now? Just let it finish and see what happens.

I put a new airlock on four days ago and it's been happily bubbling away. I think it will be fine too I always just like to think of the possibilities. ie possible chance of infection?

Odds are very good you'll be fine; your beer was pushing stuff out early on, and the yeasties are active enough to out-compete most other organisms at that stage of fermentation.

I'll be the first to say pics or it didn't happen.

Your beer will be fine but we want pics!

Latest posts

Back