Forgot 15 minute Hop Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austintxeric

Reaction score
I just completed my 5th batch of beer today and came across my first big mistake. I was doing an Austin Homebrew supply Our Special Holiday Ale recipe BIAB. I added the 1 oz of Mt. Hood hops at 60 and 1/2 oz of Saaz at 5 minutes, but was distracted at the 15 minute mark and only added the holiday spice pack at the 15 min mark. I didn't realize I had left out the 1/2 oz of Saaz at the 15 minute mark until I had already pitched the yeast. Any ideas on how this will affect the overall flavor of the beer? Would it be worthwhile to add the missing 1/2 oz as a dry hop after fermentation? Or is there something else I should do? Thanks for any suggestions!

Saaz is more of a bittering hop as i understand it, so dry hopping with it wont add much.

It wont taste 100% like the recipe obviously, but 1/2 oz of late hops wont make bad beer because you missed it....if you forgot all of your hops, then maybe you'd have a problem.

Thanks for the info. The recipe called for 1 oz Mt. Hood at 60 for bittering, 1/2 ounce of Saaz at 15 for flavoring, and and finally 1/2 ounce of Saaz at 5 mins for aroma... Hopefully forgetting the flavoring addition won't drastically change the beer. Is there anything worth doing now, like making a hop tea?

Yes, making a hop tea would be worth while. Just boil the Saaz in a pint of water for 15 minutes.

Back