Forest Fire Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Malt

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what sort of IPA I want to brew up next since I sort of got away from hoppy beers my last few batches. I got it down to two options, either a Black IPA or a Smoked IPA. Then while talking with a friend about New Belgium's Ranger IPA and all it's Piney hop goodness, a thought occurred to me. Why not combine all 3 of these things into one crazy @$$ brew!?!? Now seeing as I've never brewed a Black IPA or a Smoked anything, I'm looking for some input on this recipe before I go ahead with the brew.

Here's what I've got so far...

5.5 Gallon Batch

10.5lbs Pale Malt
2.5lbs Smoked Malt
12oz Crystal 120
12oz De-Bittered Black Malt

The hop bill needs some more work yet. I know I want to throw a BUNCH of Simcoe in this for a huge Piney flavor/aroma, but other than that I'm not sure what else to use, if anything.

I'll most likely end up going with something simple like WLP001 for the yeast, nice and clean to let the grains and hops be the feature.

So there's what I have so far. Any input on the grain bill and/or hop schedule are very much appreciated. The biggest thing I'm unsure about is the amount of Smoked Malt to use, I want this to be noticeably smokey, but not overpowering to the point that smoke is all you taste. Thanks in advance for any input/advice/criticism you may have! :mug:

I did a version of John Palmer's Elevenses with 1 pound of Oak Smoked Wheat malt and .1 pound of Peat Smoked Malt.

I was cautioned about the peat smoked malt as it gets overwhelming easily.

It was smoky but not overly so. I think it could have taken a little more smoked wheat malt but not any more peat smoked malt.

The different smoked malts contribute differently and also vary with production run and age.

Thus I cannot say if your amount is too much or not.....

Latest posts

Back