Foreign Objects in the Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnechem

Reaction score
So I've been searching the forums for a few weeks now, and I figured its about time to make my post. I hate to ask this question, as it shows carelessness on my part, but here we go anyway..

I just realized that I left my plastic stirring spoon in my bucket fermenter. Is this bad, having a foreign object in there while fermentation is going on? And should I bother removing it when I get home from work?

A little background - I was checking my beer this morning (my first partial mash), which has been fermenting since Sunday night. I was planning on taking a gravity reading since there is no airlock activity, but once I opened the lid, it was very obvious that fermentation had begun. However, I noticed something strange sticking out of the krausen... my spoon.

If I had to take a guess, I imagine this isn't a problem. It was sanitized when I was using it, after all. But I couldn't find anything on this subject through a search, and I'd appreciate any feedback from you guys who've been doing this a while.

Thanks for the help, these forums are simply an amazing resource and community.

Nope, not a problem at all!

Take it out or leave it in, won't make any difference if it was clean!

If it were me I'd just leave it. I mean your bucket is plastic, right? I'd think fishing it out would be worse for the beer than just leaving it alone.

That said, if it bugs you, sanitize some tongs and fish it out. It's highly unlikely you'll hurt anything.

-Joe

If it was sanitized, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you are worried, you could wash your hands and pull it out. I think you should post a pic though :)

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I guess I'll probably leave it in there for now, unless I find time to do some more brewing this weekend... which is highly likely, because this is way too addicting.

If it were me I'd just leave it. I mean your bucket is plastic, right?

Good point :)

Cheers,
Mike

he he he,,, maybe we need to start a "strange things left in the bucket" thread...

brownale.jpg

Inside of the smack pack slipped into the wort!

Did I worry about it??? NO! RDWHAHB!

=========================

Bottled: Belgian Tripel, Hefeweizen
Secondary: Brown Ale (pictured above)
Primary1: Empty
Primary2: Empty
On Deck: Smoked Porter, Belgian Tripel

Ha, I'll post a picture when I get home tonight. Although I'm pretty sure woollybugger2 has me beat on this one!

I once opened the lid on my fermenting beer and found my Aunt Edna.... not sure how she managed to get in the bucket but she was in no hurry to get out! ;)

definitely a +1 on leaving the spoon.... unless of course you need it to start another batch? I'd just leave that bugger there until you siphon your beer off for secondary or bottling...

EDIT: Of course it might be kinda fun to lick the spoon!

I once opened the lid on my fermenting beer and found my Aunt Edna.... not sure how she managed to get in the bucket but she was in no hurry to get out! ;)

This demands a rimshot

[Channeling Ed McMann] HI OOH! Right you are sir!

Oh, +3.7 on the ignore the spoon. As a matter of fact to quote DB "There is no spoon".

I have also strange question. My vinyl tube fell into fermenter. Is it possible to get infection if yeast wont eat sugars in tube area?

Back