Forcing vs. Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' rummie

Reaction score
What is the best way to carb., forcing or priming?
Obviously it's faster to force, but are there any advantages to priming a keg other than saving a little co2?

It's a personal opinion but I think priming a keg gives the beer better carbonation but I haven't had fantastic luck force carbing. It seems a little fussy trying to get the beer to carb correctly when forcing. By adding the sugar and letting the keg carb naturally, I get a nice pour without having to do all the cooling, shaking, and farting around with the co2.

It's a personal opinion but I think priming a keg gives the beer better carbonation but I haven't had fantastic luck force carbing. It seems a little fussy trying to get the beer to carb correctly when forcing. By adding the sugar and letting the keg carb naturally, I get a nice pour without having to do all the cooling, shaking, and farting around with the co2.
Doesn't sound like your system is balanced. With a balanced system I just hook up the keg to my serving pressure, wait a week, and it's carbed and ready to serve. No shaking, dorking around with the reg, etc. This is part of what makes kegging so appealing IMO.

Forcing is no faster than priming. You still have to wait for it to condition.

If you force after the beer is conditioned, wait 2-3 days for the carbonation to settle in. But, after that, I've never been able to tell the difference.

Most of the time, I just put the CO2 on a week before I want to serve.

By adding the sugar and letting the keg carb naturally, I get a nice pour without having to do all the cooling, shaking, and farting around with the co2.

You know, you don't HAVE to shake/fart around with the CO2...

Set it at serving psi, and just ignore it for a week, maybe 10 days. Assuming you have your system balanced for pouring, its a snap.

Me, I hit about 11-12psi, and use 8 feet of picnic tap line. Good pour, good carbonation, no fuss.

You know, you don't HAVE to shake/fart around with the CO2...

Set it at serving psi, and just ignore it for a week, maybe 10 days. Assuming you have your system balanced for pouring, its a snap.

Me, I hit about 11-12psi, and use 8 feet of picnic tap line. Good pour, good carbonation, no fuss.

I just got the system, don't know if it is balanced or not, only looks like 4feet of line to the keg. Although i had no problem forcing it(chilled keg,hit it at 35psi, shook for 3 min, let sit overnight) I was wondering about priming it, if a difference is noticable(taste, cabonation quality, overall quality, etc.)

I've brewed the same kolsch twice, bottled one, keg'd the other.

no difference in taste. I would say that pouring beer from a bottle results in a little different head formation than pouring from a picnic tap...but that's it.

Back