Forced carbonation and beer clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
I have heard that kegging and forced carbonation will help clarify beer. Did I hear right. I use Irish moss in the boil and I have the ability to cold crash in my fermentation chamber. I would really like super clear beer. What are the best methods to achieve this goal?

I just kegged my first beer and after 8 bottled I can definitely say the kegged beer is MUCH clearer. I'm sure it has to do with the cooling time and not shaking things around in there. I also crashed cooled and gelatined this one for 2 weeks before kegging. It's as clear as commercial beer though, amazing.

I just kegged my first beer and after 8 bottled I can definitely say the kegged beer is MUCH clearer. I'm sure it has to do with the cooling time and not shaking things around in there. I also crashed cooled and gelatined this one for 2 weeks before kegging. It's as clear as commercial beer though, amazing.

How much gelatine do you use per 5 gallons? Do you boil first and liquify before adding? Thanks.

There's a big thread on gelatin, but basically you use about half a packet of knox unflavored for 5 gallons. Stir gelatin into some water, heat it to near boiling, but not boiling, and add it to the fermenter. I've done it on my last 4 beers and it seems to be working great for me. My last beer was the best and clearest I've made and I added added gelatin to the primary while cold crashing and dry hopping.

Funny, I actually prefer my, and commercial beers, to be unfiltered and cloudy. I think they have a better flavor and more body. That being said, I don't like "thick" or chunky stuff in my beer. In my experience, crash cooling, and then kegging gets it pretty clear since most of the sediement settles to the bottom of the keg while carbonating.

I don't like using gelatin as it removes some of the hop oils I work so hard to put in there. IMO patience and cold crashing are the only things needed to achieve crystal clear beer.

Back