Forced carbonated bottles, store only in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Rose

Reaction score
I recently brewed an all grain coconut porter, I take to a local brew your own and have them force carbonate and then I bottle there, bottles done on a machine purged with CO2 and then capped.

I stored half in the fridge, half in the house, the first two of the house stored bottles have an iron off taste and are Missing the depth of flavour of the last couple or refrigerated bottles, I did have one or two of the refrigerated ones with a similar off taste.

Wondering if my storage methods contribute or more due to something else?

As far as being force carb'd, I don't know any reason they would be any more sensitive to room temperature storage than bottle conditioned beer.

As far as being force carb'd, I don't know any reason they would be any more sensitive to room temperature storage than bottle conditioned beer.
If done correctly, the yeast in a bottle conditioning method help consume DO and also act directly as antioxidants.

If done correctly, the yeast in a bottle conditioning method help consume DO and also act directly as antioxidants.
Good point, but I would think the bottling process ("purged with CO2") would take care of this. It probably depends on the details of the process.

Bottled CO2 is impure. Therefore force carbonating always introduces oxygen.

It's not possible to fully purge bottle headspace. If the beer is already carbonated, "capping on foam" is probably a better plan than purging. However bottle conditioning (when done correctly) is still probably better than force carbonating in most cases, with respect to oxidation.

Of course there are other things to think about when bottle conditioning, like foam degradation cause by sitting on yeast for too long at room temp after fermentation.
Cold storage is always best.

Back