Force Carbong and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewDLW3

Reaction score
So I have a scotch wee heavy that aged 10 months on French oak. I bottled and legged it. The bottles are a little low carbonation due to the 12% ABV. My thought with the kegged stuff is to over carb it bottle it very slowly in a liter kolsch (or normal capped) bottle and put in the fridge. My theory is to fill the bottles to the top to get out as much O2 as possible and the over Carbong to make up for some of the lost carbonation due to the transfer. Does anyone have experience with this or have an thoughts?

The trick is to determine how much priming sugar to add to make up for lost CO2.

You need to leave some airspace or it won't carbonate at all. Also to prevent bottle bombs, you need some expansion space.

Here's an alternative:
If you bottle when the slightly "overcarbonated" beer is very cold (28-32°F or so), directly from the keg with a short hose and the bottles are frozen (starsan before), you may not lose much CO2 during transfer, and experience very little foaming too.

I did actually naturally carbonate with brown sugar but do to the age and ABV it didn't carbonate hardly at all. I will try to do the frozen bottles 1 at a time and see how it turns out.

So I have a scotch wee heavy that aged 10 months on French oak. I bottled and legged it. The bottles are a little low carbonation due to the 12% ABV. My thought with the kegged stuff is to over carb it bottle it very slowly in a liter kolsch (or normal capped) bottle and put in the fridge. My theory is to fill the bottles to the top to get out as much O2 as possible and the over Carbong to make up for some of the lost carbonation due to the transfer. Does anyone have experience with this or have an thoughts?

How low of carbonation? Like profoundly low where the beer is not enjoyable? I would be inclined to first try mixing up some pasteur champagne yeast in a slurry and with a sterile dropper adding new yeast to the near frozen bottles.

Not profoundly low. It carbed where I could drink it and it is very good but nearly no foam/head. I just worked hard on this beer and want it to be great! Just want it to be a little more carbonated with around a 1/2 inch of head. Still tastes deep rich, oaky and alcohol. Going to be great when the wx drops below freezing!

Not profoundly low. It carbed where I could drink it and it is very good but nearly no foam/head. I just worked hard on this beer and want it to be great! Just want it to be a little more carbonated with around a 1/2 inch of head. Still tastes deep rich, oaky and alcohol. Going to be great when the wx drops below freezing!

Try the "gordon strong" approach. Fill 2L bottle with beer, squeeze to remove oxygen. Attach carbonator cap and carbonate to whatever level you want. Check beer. If to your liking, simply pour (yes just pour) near freezing beer into near freezing bottle and cap immediately.

Now mind you, he mentioned this was for 2 week consumption at a competition or whatever, not for archival storage. But what do you have to lose? 69 cents for a 2L of cheap pop you dump out and $10 for carbonator cap.

Back