Force Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par383

Reaction score
Hi all. I just got my first corny and am force carbonating. I pressurized the keg to 40 PSI, and shook it (like my lhbs guy told me to do). I put it into my kegerator, and now I wait. My question is, should I release the pressure, and then fill to a lower PSI for serving and wait overnight, or should I wait until tomorrow to do it?
:mug:

How long did you shake it? What temp? You may have overcarbed it. Depending on the answer to those two questions may suggest that you should release some of the pressure without the CO2 connected. You definitely want to serve at lower PSI though. Anywhere from 4 PSI to 12 PSI. You will know your system fairly shortly so you will be able to dial it in better. That's just the frame within you can start working with it.

:tank:

It depends on the temp of the beer and the desired level of carbonation.
http://www.ebrew.com/primarynews/ct_carbonation_chart.htm
So for 2.5 volumes at 38*F, you can set the regulator to 12 psi and leave it alone for 5 to 7 days.
To get the same result at room temp (ex 60*F) would require 25 psi.
I speed it up by shaking for 30 minutes at 30 psi and 38*F, until no more gas will go in.
The pressure will drop until it reaches equilibrium, then I add CO2 at 12 psi for a day or two until it's steady.
Just my .02.

im serving at 3 psi, works for me...
I did the 35psi and shake..the beer was ok after 3 hrs, but way better 24-36 hrs after.

Back