Force Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis K. Jansen

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been force carbonating for a while, and my normal process is to set it to 35-40 PSI for 48 hours and then drink.

I'm starting to refine and pay attention to details, and thus I got to thinking about certain styles and carbonation levels and how to get there with this method.

I've seen "set it to 15 for a week" and you'll be at X PSI. I've even been given some charts that go higher up into the 30s and 40s. In the end, especially when cranking it up to 40 for 48 hours, how do I know what carb level I'm getting and for how long do I go for my desired level.

I guess I'm looking for some advice or hopefully some formula that says X PSI for Y days = Z carb volume, or something in that area.

Can you coach me up on this subject? Thanks!

Related discussion here.
Bottom line, it is difficult to be precise when incorporating "burst carbonation", versus simply setting the appropriate pressure given the beer temperature and letting it reach equilibrium (referencing any carbonation table/chart/calculator, including our favorite).

With the so-called "set and forget" method you can nail any carbonation level you desire, but it does require patience - a little over 2 weeks worth - or a deep pipeline. I went with the deep pipeline :)
Each of my brewery fridges is set up with multiple gas drops so kegs can be fully carbonated before a slot opens in my keezer...

Cheers!

I have also looked for data on carbonation rate vs. "excess" pressure at various temperatures, but have not found anything.

Brew on :mug:

Back