Force carbonating with CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlillie

Reaction score
When i forced carbonated my first 2 kegs, I put 30 lbs pressure on them and then decided to turn off the co2 since i was a little worried that while away, i would spring a leak and lose all the co2. Each day when i went back to check the pressure on the keg, i would find almost none. I thought i must have a leak but after pressurizing in couldn't find any.
Now, on my 3rd keg i realized that the co2 was not being lost but must be being absorbed into the beer.
In all my reading about forced carbonating i never heard anyone say this.
Would this be correct?
Thanks, John

When i forced carbonated my first 2 kegs, I put 30 lbs pressure on them and then decided to turn off the co2 since i was a little worried that while away, i would spring a leak and lose all the co2. Each day when i went back to check the pressure on the keg, i would find almost none. I thought i must have a leak but after pressurizing in couldn't find any.
Now, on my 3rd keg i realized that the co2 was not being lost but must be being absorbed into the beer.
In all my reading about forced carbonating i never heard anyone say this.
Would this be correct?
Thanks, John

Yes.

The point of force carbing is to force the co2 into the beer by pressure.

36 hours at 30 psi, then take off the gas line, bleed some co2 out till it's under 10 psi, then put the gas line back at serving pressure.

I believe you could... but that is taking the "force" out of force carbing

No, you're still forcing CO2 into solution, just in a slower and more predictable manner. Force carbonation just means carbonating with an external CO2 source. Compared to natural carbonation, where the yeast provide the CO2.

forcecarbillustrated.gif

I force at 30 psi and shake the keg w pressure on for 10 min disconnect and sit for 12 hours. Bleed it out and set at pour pressure. Works great

I am thinking of trying out kegging. What happens to your beer if it over carbs?

If you go with 30-35 psi set the seal vent it 2-3 times (open relief valve to purge) let it sit 12 hours then set between 10-12 psi and leave it for at least 2 weeks it's great no chance of over carbed it's just ready. You will get some sediment in the 1-2 pours after that though it's perfect.

since I will be new to kegging i have a question. If I do multiple kegs and carb and drink one keg can I fill another keg and just let it sit without carbing it until i am ready to use it. Even if it has to sit for a few weeks, or should I carb it first and then let it sit until I am ready to use it?

that 30 pis number is for carbing kegs at fermentation temps, no serving temps correct? just tried the set and forget method with an IPA, set for12 psi at 39Deg F and after a week and 3 days its still flat.

that 30 pis number is for carbing kegs at fermentation temps, no serving temps correct? just tried the set and forget method with an IPA, set for12 psi at 39Deg F and after a week and 3 days its still flat.

If it's still flat after 10 days, I'd say something is going on. Either the co2 is coming out of solution during the pour, or something. It might not be exactly fully carbed up, but it should definitely NOT be flat!

If it's still flat after 10 days, I'd say something is going on. Either the co2 is coming out of solution during the pour, or something. It might not be exactly fully carbed up, but it should definitely NOT be flat!

my guess is its not fully carbed. the first pour, mostly sediment had a great head on it that coated the glass nicely. second pour had a little less head.

would storing my gas utside the fridge help me achieve better results??

The colder the beer the faster it absorbs CO2. 36 hours at 30psi at around 44 degrees and youre set. Storing your gas outside wont help. Have you got your lines chilled? Calculated proper line length? Got avfan keeping the top of the keezer cool?

my guess is its not fully carbed. the first pour, mostly sediment had a great head on it that coated the glass nicely. second pour had a little less head.

would storing my gas utside the fridge help me achieve better results??

Does the beer taste like it doesn't have enough carbonation, or does it just not have as much head as you'd like? I ask because those are two very different things.

would storing my gas outside the fridge help me achieve better results??

Actually yes it would. If you store your glasses frosted (in the freezer) you will get more foaming. Try getting a glass very clean. Clean it with salt (scrub good) then rinse well. Use a glass that is room temp and dry, or run the glass under very cold water then drain the glass and fill from the tapper. You will have much less foaming. I notice however, that my first beer in several days has more foam (head) than the next one. Try this and see if it makes a difference.

I don't disagree, but I don't think he stated anywhere that he was freezing his glasses

Would you force carbonate cider in the same amount of time with the same amount of PSI?

30psi for 36 hrs.? 44°?
What if I want my cider a little colder like 40°, Still 30 PSI for 36 hours?
I want to taste my cider but I also wanted to be nice and cold...

Would you force carbonate cider in the same amount of time with the same amount of PSI?

30psi for 36 hrs.? 44°?
What if I want my cider a little colder like 40°, Still 30 PSI for 36 hours?
I want to taste my cider but I also wanted to be nice and cold...

depends on how carbonated you want it. Wife likes it like a sparkling wine so I would run at 20psi it doesn't hold a head like beer more like a sparkling wine

beaksnbeer said:
depends on how carbonated you want it. Wife likes it like a sparkling wine so I would run at 20psi it doesn't hold a head like beer more like a sparkling wine

Not sure how to explain how much carbonation I like?
I tried an English cider a while back that had very little carbonation and it was a little flat for me... Crazy crazy carbonation like in Champaign or some champagne is a little heavy for me. I think I would like a nice mid-level carbonation?

Not sure how to explain how much carbonation I like?
I Tridon English cider a while back that had very little carbonation and it was a little flat for me... Crazy crazy carbonation like in Champaign or some champagne is a little heavy for me. I think I would like a nice mid-level carbonation?

Decide how many volumes of CO2 you want, use a carbonation chart/calculator to figure out how much pressure that is for your temperature, make sure your lines are balanced, and you're good to go!

"mid level" for beer is probably around 2.4 volumes of CO2. Cider carb level is entirely up to you! Like you said, some are almost like champagne, some are still, and there's everything in between.

zachattack said:
Decide how many volumes of CO2 you want, use a carbonation chart/calculator to figure out how much pressure that is for your temperature, make sure your lines are balanced, and you're good to go!

"mid level" for beer is probably around 2.4 volumes of CO2. Cider carb level is entirely up to you! Like you said, some are almost like champagne, some are still, and there's everything in between.

Balanced lines?

beaksnbeer said:
Most have found that the sweet spot for proper carb @ 10-12 psi is 10 foot lines

Beaksnbeer, I have five ft. lines in my Keezer...
12psi is fine for drinking but I need to force carb this stuff sooner then a week. My Keezer is between 40°F and 38°F....
If cider does not carb like beer and I want a pretty good amount of carbonation should I do 20 PSI for 36 hours? I'm still confused about how much pressure for how many hours to quickly force carbonate and what pressure for serving...

Yes I would try 20psi for carbing and serving it will come out fast but will not hold a head The main reason that I am against burst carbing is the carbonic acid bite that dissipates in a couple of days is stronger as cider is already higher in acid count then beer Thats why people always talk about how the last gallon always tastes the best 2-3 weeks at serving pressure will always taste better then burst carbing as you have better control as to how much

Back