force carbonating warm keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmasterpa

Reaction score
well im going to start kegging and i carbed my first keg this weekend. the batch is a porter and i set the regulator to 30 psi and left it at room temp. i have a buddy that brews and said that you have to chill the keg before carbonating. i was also wondering how to tell what pressure you need to carbonate at. ive heard different beers require different pressures. any input would be great. :rockin:

You need to refer to a force carbonation table, like that listed here.

Cold liquids absorb CO2 much more readily than warm liquids.

but it won't "age" if its cold, right?

It will, albeit slower. I have several kegs that I hit with 30 psi just to seal the lid that are conditioning in my 58-60° basement. When I want to serve, I hook them up to the gas and crank up the PSI to 35 for 36 hours, vent, and drop them down to serving pressure (8-10 PSI).

You can force carb warm, it will just take longer.

Here's a chart, kinda hard to read though.
Force Carbonation & Carb Table

I Carbonate ALL my kegs at room temp. I find it to be quicker.

But I agree, find the right pressure (using a carb chart) for the temp in the room and you are set. And you can shake the heck out of it if you want. As long as you follow the carbonation chart it is REALLY hard to over-carbonate without turning the pressure up.

I dispense my beer through a cold plate that is inside a mini fridge so my beer sits at room temp all the time. It is actually really neat because I have 4 taps on one little mini fridge. Plus I can easily change from 1 beer to the next and back.

I'm using forced carbonation warm with my set up, my kegs are always at room temperature and here the summers are 35c and winters are 25c. I force carbonate at 40psi warm (rocking keg for 3min). dispensing is then from warm keg into a solution at -4c,25m of stainless steel coil. The solution is 20lt of water with 8kg of sugar dissolved so it will start to freeze at -5c. I get perfect results every time. I can insert 2 coils so have 2 kegs on tap at any time, using a chest type freezer with a temperature controller.Hope this helps anyone looking for same.

Back