Force Carbonating pressure vs. Serving pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmergedBrewing

Reaction score
is there a difference between the carbonating pressure to reach the volume of CO2 in your beer and the pressure you dispense it at? just wondering considering this is my first time kegging thanks

Well, it depends. If you do the set it and forget it method for carbonation, then no, the carbonating pressure and dispense are the same. There are several carbonation tables in the Kegging FAQs and several calculators if you google as well. All you need to do is set it to the desired pressure for your level of carbonation, leave it for a week or so, and it'll be carbonated.

If you were to turn down your serving pressure, the pressure in the keg would lower and the carbonation level of the beer would drop.

There are other methods of carbonating, setting to 30PSI and shaking the keg for a few min, or setting at 30PSI and letting it sit for 48 hours to carbonate, but the results can be inconsistent.

I find it much easier to just set it at the psi that gives me MY desired CO2 level (I don't necessarily carb to style), and run the right length of tap line to balance that out.

for me that's 12psi, 8feet of tap line, and 42F for a good pour with decent head and good carbonation.
if my lines were shorter the pour is too fast and I knock CO2 out of solution...flatter beer.

So there is really nothing I can do to slow down the pour if my psi is set to 12 and it's too fast? Can I get it to a certain carbonation and then just
tone down the psi during serving like a party. At 12 or so psi, I can't control the head and it's huge

Longer lines b/t the ball lock and the tap should help. A previous post mentioned a "balanced" system of 42F, 12 PSI in, and 8 feet of serving lines from keg to tap.

Start reading here: http://kegman.net/balance.html
I can serve at carbonation pressures because I went through the calcs and have a balanced system. It is definitely worth the effort which becomes even more apparent after forgetting to return your pressure after a party only to find your beer flat the next time you pull a pint.

thanks for that website. it really gave me some things to think about. im unfortunately in between paychecks but the next thing im getting for the makeshift home brewery is a deep freezer for a "keezer" project. that will allow me to keep the beer at a cooler temperature, therefore dropping the CO2 pressure required carbonate. as soon as its built, i will make sure it's properly balanced.

Back