Force Carbonating in the Fridge help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nberna19

Reaction score
I usually carbonate my kegs at 34 psi for 48 hours at around 68 F with good results. I just kegged this morning and want the beer ready (and cold) to drink in 2 days' time so i popped the room temp keg and CO2 in the fridge. Now my question - I know cold beer absorbs CO2 more quickly, so set at 34 psi and around 40 F when should I expect the beer to be done at around 2.5 volumes?

I know cold beer absorbs more CO2. I don't know that it actually absorbs it more quickly. I typically lay the keg sideways at room temp with the gas hooked up and pressure set for the carb level I want. I rock it back and forth with my feet. You can hear the CO2 bubbling in. I usually lose patience after about 15-20 minutes. Then I put it in the fridge with the pressure set at appropriate for the temp and level. 2 days usually does the trick. This way I haven't over carbonated one yet. Previously when going at a higher pressure at room temp for a couple days, I over did it twice.

Back