Force Carbonating and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefairwrench

Reaction score
I have been fortunate in never really bottling my beer only kegging. I have decided to bottle some and was wondering do I have to always use priming sugar or can I bottle straight from my keg and will it keep. I know some does a mixture of sugar and force. But I would like just go straight from carbonated keg to bottle.

Yes you can! Its pretty easy too, once it is carbed completely in the keg. Search for the thread "we don't need no stinkin beer gun."

Thanks I have read that thread awhile back but my wife beat me to it and bought a beer gun.Ill review the thread again thanks:mug:

Well if you have a beer gun (a purchase I just made too), its even easier. I bottle most of my stuff off the keg to open up more space. No sugar necessary, btw.

Be aware you will lose some carbonation bottling from a keg. I am told you should increase the pressure about 10% a few days before. Some people will bottle a few just for competition and keg the rest.

The loss is pretty negligible if you are using a beer gun (correctly) and pre-cooling your bottles.

Thanks I am glad everyone jumped in Im going to bottle some tomorrow with the brew gun with a Cream ale it will be easy to see what is going on with that light of a beer.

Beer guns and elaborate picnic faucet contraptions are a complete waste. Seriously, just jam a 1-foot pice of 3/16" beverage tubing into your kegerator's faucet and bottle away. If it doesn't fit, just shave off a little chamfer on the tubing's edge. Turn the co2 pressure down, and hold your bottle in an ice bath while filling. No foam, and virtually free. It's really that easy.

SpeedYellow said:
Beer guns and elaborate picnic faucet contraptions are a complete waste. Seriously, just jam a 1-foot pice of 3/16" beverage tubing into your kegerator's faucet and bottle away. If it doesn't fit, just shave off a little chamfer on the tubing's edge. Turn the co2 pressure down, and hold your bottle in an ice bath while filling. No foam, and virtually free. It's really that easy.

Does this really work? What about the whole counter pressure co2 and all that? I need a cheap way to fill some bottles for guys at work so they can tell me they don't like anything with flavor. I really shouldn't waste my time or beer. Don't throw your pearls before swine, right.

ColoHox said:
I disagree. I much prefer using my beer gun over all my attempts using the faucet-wand combo, even if I have to hook-up a few more things.

Yeah, we all have our own experiences. Neither my counter-pressure filler nor the picnic-faucet-wand methods worked well for me (foaming, hassle). But chilling the bottles before and DURING the filling process solved the foaming probs, and the simple tube-stuck-in-the-kegerator-faucet turned out to be quick, free, no foam, no mess, and no cleanup. I just did 2 cases last week like this. A handheld pitcher of ice water works great to keep the bottles cold regardless of what method you use.

image-4245096539.jpg

Back