force carbing with carbonator cap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamWiz

Reaction score
Is it possible to force carbonate a beer in a 2L bottle with the carbonator cap using just the small CO2 charges? I have no kegging setup and was interested in using the carbonator cap to carbonate a bit of beer at bottling time so I can do some sampling before my bottles are ready. I have read through all the threads about it, and it seems that people who have used it to force carb beer have used CO2 tanks, not the little charges(people talk about what PSI they use, I'm assuming this means they are using tanks). The only references to using the charges seems to be for preserving beer that is already carbed. Has anyone force carbonated beer with the little CO2 charges? I am guessing that it would probably take several of them and not be very cost effective - but I'm hoping one of you gives me good news.(and PLEASE no responses saying "just get a kegging set up" - I am aware that kegging exists and is nice. I simply cannot afford it for the time being, plus I happen to actually like bottling)

The problem is that there's no way to control the pressure released except for giving short bursts on the trigger. It would probably be pretty easy to go beyond the capacity of a PET bottle and make a real mess. Not even the disconnect will hold the pressure from one of those bulbs. If you pull the trigger without being connected to a keg or if it’s not seated correctly on the keg, you will blow the top off.

Back