Force-Carbing Water: PSI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I have an open tap and wifey's been wanting sparkling water for awhile, so I'm gonna try it out. Cool thing is, when I want my tap back for beer, all I lose when I dump it is the co2...either that or I bottle it.

Anyway, does anyone know what a good burst-carbing PSI is? And for how long? I'm looking for the normal Pellegrino level of carbonation here. I usually burst-carb my beers for a couple days at 35 psi, but water is different (no proteins, etc.) So...how long, and at what PSI?

Also, in reference to my previous paragraph: has anyone bottled sparkling water from a keg a la BMBF? If so, does the carbonation hold up?

Thanks!

Sparkling water is usually nearly gusher quality carbonated. I would not think that 25 psi would be too much.

Question to add to the confusion.
Would it be a good idea to boil the water to eliminate the o2 that is dissolved in tap water and help preserve this?

I got the same request a few months ago.

I hit the tap temperature keg with 30 PSI and expected the bubbles in my normal 48 hours.

Surprisingly, it took an additional 48 hours to get there.

Fortunately if you go a bit too long...over carb'd water is not a real deal killer.

I run my water through the RV filter (like you have) and I'll admit...ice cold sparkling filtered water is very good.

So, in my book, a freshly filled keg gets 30PSI for 4 days and then down to serving pressures.

Sparkling water is usually nearly gusher quality carbonated. I would not think that 25 psi would be too much.

Question to add to the confusion.
Would it be a good idea to boil the water to eliminate the o2 that is dissolved in tap water and help preserve this?

If I'm not mistaken, oxidation spoils beer because it affects the compounds in the beer. All water is is 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom. I can't see how dissolved O2 in the water is going to spoil it. I mean, I can leave a bottle of tap water sitting around for a very long time and it never tastes like cardboard :D

I am thinking about buying Tonic in quantity and keeping it on tap. I am planning on keeping it around 35 psi just like a soda keg. Should be interesting to hear from anyone else that has done this.

An added benefit if you have this in your keezer is that you can just switch the liquid posts from your other beer lines and give your beer taps a good flushing of soda water with little-to-no trouble.

All water is is 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom.

True Dat! But what I'm concerned with is the "Free" oxygen. The oxygen that isn't molecularly bonded with Hydrogen. That's part of the "Taste" of water. That's why they have the "Aerators" on faucets and such. My water (Granted I live on a farm and don't have treated Municipal water source) tastes very stale after about 2 or 3 days of being "Left Out"

Just a thought....as usual...I'm sure I'm WAY off base.:cross:

For my soda water I leave it at 35 PSI in the fridge and serve with a fairly long line on it. I have it going into a Wunder-Bar though so it does some more distances through that and out the head. Good carbonation levels and my wife and I are experimenting with some fruit juices mixed with soda water.

An added benefit if you have this in your keezer is that you can just switch the liquid posts from your other beer lines and give your beer taps a good flushing of soda water with little-to-no trouble.

I was just thinking the same thing. :mug: Drunk minds think alike, I s'pose.

So I just filled it with the filtered water. Wifey DID mention adding fruit syrups, possibly, if I can figure out how to bottle it correctly. I think it'd be the tits to have bottled fizzy water around, too...

I keep a keg of carbonated water outside my kegerator all the time. Just add ice (or not) and drink. 30lbs suits me and the wife. Hooking it up and shaking the hell out of it makes it usable right away.

I have been thinking about this the last week or so too - Do you guys filter tap water or is it easiest just to go buy a 5 gal spring water, RO, or something along those lines to fill the keg.

If anyone has any good syrups or juices to use with this post up - I have kicked caffeine and would like some good alternatives to my caffeine free coke.

I did this just about 2 weeks ago. Or at least something similar...

I took a 2L soda bottle and a second spare cap. Drill a hole in the cap, push through a barbed connector with male MIP and connect it on the other side of the cap with a female connections. Total cost was about $4.

Screw this onto the 2L soda bottle and carb it up. To do this, you need the water to be cold, at least fridge temp, if not below. 30psi works for me. Since it's not beer, I just shake the heck out of it and it carbs right up in a matter of a minute or two. Then, unscrew the drilled cap and screw on the normal cap and put it back in the fridge.

I like adding some salt to the water to make it more of a soda, rather than seltzer. I mostly use it in my jack and sodas and the hint of salt really adds to the taste.

Note, you can also use my bottle top contraption to recarb flat sodas (neither SWMBO nor I are big soda drinkers, so a 2L bottle of coke can easily last a month in the fridge. Carbed passionberry sweet tea is next on my list of things to try....

Cheers!

Back