Force Carbing warm or Naturally Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon corny keg, regulator and picnic tap ready for a beach party in 3 weeks. I dont have a kegerator built yet so i cant force carb it cold. Room temp is 72-78F depending on the time of day.

After reading a bunch of threads it seems like my 2 options are:
1. let it prime naturally, add priming sugar, hit it with some co2 to seal, let it sit for 3 weeks.
The day of the party, bring the keg out to the beach in an ice bucket, let it chill for a few hours, hook it up, set regulator to 10 psi to serve.

OR

2. Hook up the CO2 and let sit at 30 psi for 2 weeks, unhook, day of the party chill it in the ice bucket and hook it up to 10 psi to serve.

my concern for option 1 is all the sediment produced from natural carbing will result in a super cloudy beer bc i have to i transport the keg and it wont have a lot of time to settle out.
my concern for option 2 is not knowing the right c02 levels and getting a bunch of foam.

this is an hopped up pale ale if that makes any difference.

edit: did i miss anything? ive never kegged before so any steps i missed, let me know. (i.e bleeding the valve at any point)

Because time is on your side, I'd go with option 1. To alleviate your concern for this option, before you transport the keg, just pull off a half a pint to get rid of all the sediment.

Because time is on your side, I'd go with option 1. To alleviate your concern for this option, before you transport the keg, just pull off a half a pint to get rid of all the sediment.

good idea, so can i hook up the picnic tap and pull a few or do i need to hook up the co2...it will still be warm at this point

You could always pull a few pints from the keg before transporting, a lot of the sediment will come out in the first few pours.

If it were me I would set & forget force carb primarily because that is how I carb 100% of my beer and I find it easy/exact/etc. Is your corny brand new? Have you verified it holds pressure? Just something to think about, a small leak could cause you a real headache since you're on a somewhat short time window.

billym99 - they are used but the LHBS tested them infront of me and they held pressure. so do you force carb warm?
if i forced carbed, i would plan to set/forget for 2 weeks then i guess i could potentially cool the keg down with an ice bath to test it out and see if it pours ok. adjust if necessary.

hopbrad,

I have force carbed warm with no issue, although now I generally carb my kegs in my lagering fridge so it's been awhile. Back in the day when I would carb warm I always had better results if I chilled the keg a few days before serving, probably not much different then natural carbing, the couple times I've bottled I always had better results chilling the bottles a few days before serving.

Good luck.

How cold is it in York? Why not carb it at 12psi in a swamp cooler outside for the few weeks? I'm assuming it gets below freezing, but probably not long enough to freeze 10+ gallons of liquid.

Just a crazy thought...

oops - mixed up OP's location. NEVERMIND!

I would still rely on force carbing and maybe just try to find space in a fridge. Depending on the leak rate you could prime it to 30 psi initially and chill it, then check pressure every so often to maintain 12 psi...

i force carbed 2 kegs at 30psi and 1 is naturally carbing. I found out one of the kegs has a leak by the out line/dip tube when i jacked the psi up past 15. rut roh. im going to siphon it out and take it apart to see if i can find the issue.

i force carbed 2 kegs at 30psi and 1 is naturally carbing. I found out one of the kegs has a leak by the out line/dip tube when i jacked the psi up past 15. rut roh. im going to siphon it out and take it apart to see if i can find the issue.

No need to siphon it out.

De-pressurize, sanitize the area thoroughly, and your tools, and disassemble the area.

Do your O-ring (s), poppet valve swap or whatever, and leak check again, unless you see an obvious, no easy fix problem, ( re: a cracked keg or something).

Back