Force carbing via natural carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
Could you take 2 kegs attached to a manifold with no back check valve, one file with flat beer and the other filled with water and a double dose of priming sugar and conditioning yeast, and have it "naturally" carb your other beer without using a co2 tank?

Just a thought

Could you take 2 kegs attached to a manifold with no back check valve, one file with flat beer and the other filled with water and a double dose of priming sugar and conditioning yeast, and have it "naturally" carb your other beer without using a co2 tank?

Just a thought

Could work, but why? If you don't have CO2 available, how do you plan to serve the beer?

One thing you have to worry about is that the "flat" beer will have about 0.75 - 0.85 volumes of CO2 left over from fermentation, but the water + sugar will have zero. You need to add enough extra sugar to get an "extra" ~0.8 volumes in the sugar water.

Brew on :mug:

That's an interesting idea - not sure I've see that one proposed here before.
But given enough time it should work...

Cheers!

You can naturally carbonate the beer in the keg in similar manner bottle conditioning. I boiled half of the sugar amount (about 75 grams) with water let it cool and put in keg, add beer, seal the keg and have it at room temp and let it sit 2-3 weeks. Put it in the cooler and serve temp. Purge the keg before adding the connections, connect and tap it.

But if you ferment in the keg you have sediment to deal with.

You can naturally carbonate the beer in the keg in similar manner bottle conditioning. I boiled half of the sugar amount (about 75 grams) with water let it cool and put in keg, add beer, seal the keg and have it at room temp and let it sit 2-3 weeks. Put it in the cooler and serve temp. Purge the keg before adding the connections, connect and tap it.

^^^*This. But I use 75% of the priming malt/sugar for bottling, seal the keg w/ CO2 & let sit at room temp for ten days on avg.
I e also shortened the dip tubes about an inch and added a SS mesh screen to the ends.

This concept is both hilariously complicated and modestly intriguing. I say, "Do it!"

Don't forget to report back, mit Bilder

Unfortunately, I have no kegs. Otherwise I would. It was just a thought experiment. I've seen kegging products marketed on the basis that they were more economical for people who couldn't get easy access to c02. Then I thought why not this.

Back