Force Carbing....specific situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Kegged a 5 gallon batch of Biermuncher Centenniel Blonde Wednesday at 6 PM

Trying to get it to 2.6 volumes by 2PM Saturday.....

Beer temp = 40F

Right now I got it at 30 psi....plan was as follows:

30 psi, 24 hours
13 psi, 44 hours (13 psi will be 2.6 volumes if given enough time)

ANyone have any hard numbers from experience force carbing to 2.6 volumes in my timeframe?

DO I need to leave at 30 psi longer......??? I dont want to overcarb of course...

Feedback appreciated!

You can always speed it up by shaking it a bit at 30psi to dissolve more oxygen. I have multiple CO2 tanks so I pre-carb all my beers at room temp while they wait for room in the kegerator. I doubt you could overcarb it in this short amount of time unless you left it at 30psi until saturday

You can always speed it up by shaking it a bit at 30psi to dissolve more oxygen. I have multiple CO2 tanks so I pre-carb all my beers at room temp while they wait for room in the kegerator. I doubt you could overcarb it in this short amount of time unless you left it at 30psi until saturday
Shaking at 30 psi will definitely speed up carbonation. In fact, it is probably the best way there is to accidentally over carb a keg. Some people get away with it a lot of the time, but it's taking a risk. You don't want to have to deal with an over carbed keg on a short schedule. The amount of carbonation you get from shaking is essentially uncontrollable, unless you are shaking at the equilibrium pressure and temperature for the target carb level. A better method is to leave the beer on 30 psi for 36 hours (no more) without shaking, and then vent the pressure and set to the equilibrium (chart or calculator) pressure. See for example: http://brulosophy.com/how-i-brew/kegging-method/

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
+1 to that.

36 hours at 30 psi cold results in nicely carbonated beer. Serving it at about 14PSI works for me on my setup.

If you ahve already done 30 hours, there is nothing to stop you from putting it back at 30 psi for a few more (assuming it hasn't been too long at the lower pressure and reached 2.6 volumes already).

Crank it up for 4 hours, purge to serviing PSI and test. If it's right leave it as, if still not fizzy enough, crank it back to 30 psi for another couple of hours.

I don't shake my kegs. Too easy for me to over carb my beer. I don't have the technique down pat. I don't ever have the need to do so either.

36 hours at 30 psi no shaking, dial it back to serving pressure works every time for me. Drinkable fizzy beer in 2 days. With shaking your going to have to wait for it to settle out which could take longer than 36 hours with certain beers I would imagine. Not a fan of hazy beer (unless it's to style).

Thanks guys.....only been at 30 psi for 22 hours...so I will leave until 6 am tomorrow which will be 36 hours.....yuck gotta get up early....then set to 13 psi.

Once again fellow brewers to the aid! :mug:

Was the beer cold when you first put it on the gas. If not you can wait a bit longer (38-40 hours should not be a problem)

Likewise, I reckon if you give it 37 hours and save yourself getting up at 6am it should not pose major problems.

Sounds good. Give it 40 hours, check it, if you want a bit more bubbly, up it to 30 for 2-3 hours more. Very simple and you've got time.

Hope it works out for you.

Sounds good. Give it 40 hours, check it, if you want a bit more bubbly, up it to 30 for 2-3 hours more. Very simple and you've got time.

Hope it works out for you.

Just remember to vent the keg before you take a test pour. If you don't, you'll quickly understand why you should :D

Brew on :mug:

I've tossed this out before but never really got a solid answer.

If you carb @ 30 PSI for 36 hours, could the same vol be achieved by carbing @ 60 PSI for 18?

Just curious really.

Just remember to vent the keg before you take a test pour. If you don't, you'll quickly understand why you should

Indeed....I know this...but thanks for reminder...and we shall see if I remember to do this early in morning...lol :D

Back