Force carbing my first kegged batch(es)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldAtHeart

Reaction score
I got my kegging setup finished today and kegged two batches. I've got pressure on both set at about 12 pounds for carbing. Just peaked to check the temperature inside the chiller, and I smell beer. I assumed that the kegs would seal tight enough that smell would be trapped in. All seals are brand new and lubed. Currently, I don't have an output line hooked up.

Is this normal or are my kegs leaking?

I usually put the pressure up to 30 PSI to make sure the lid seals right and there are no leaks. After this, I will purge the keg once or twice, then turn the pressure down to carbonating levels.

+1

Big pressure (35psi) seals the lids tight, the release the pressure and set it at the carbing level, whether doing it slow or fast.

Are the gauges holding steady at 12psi? +1 to nebben, after closing up the kegs, hit them with CO2 and release a few times to purge oxygen and then hit it with about 20-30psi to seal the lid good, release again and then set to your carbing pressure. You can spray some starsan around the lid and posts and look for foaming to check for leaks.

Thanks folks!

I just went out and ran the pressure up to 30 for a few seconds, then purged, then back up to about 12. We'll see if the smell persists in the morning. I'll keep an eye on the gauges as well.

If you spray Star San or soapy water on the lid, you'll see it bubble if there is a leak in any of the seals. Otherwise you will lose a good amount of co2.

Back