Force Carbing in Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
I have done a lot of reading on this and everything says to set the pressure to serving pressure and wait 5-7 days. My question is I'm at 5 days and there is no carbonation at all. The beer is at serving temp but there is nothing at all. My question is is 5-7 days right. Before I thought I read 2 weeks. Next I have the gas connected to the gas in port but it doesn't go into the beer. Thought this was ok but now I'm wondering. Last time I force carbed I did the high and shake method and over carbed and had to release pressure to get it right. Then after about 1/4 of the keg it was perfect so I know the kegs are holding pressure. This time I wanted to try the slow method but wondering if this is normal or I'm doing something wrong.

When I do the set it and forget it method, it takes about a week to get some fizz. Two weeks to get fully carbed. I normally do the high psi and shake method with good results. It sounds like you're on the right track, but if you want some results maybe you can turn up your pressure to ~30 psi for a day and a half then back down to serving pressure for a few more days.

Set and forget method of force carbing takes 2 - 3 weeks to fully carb. You will be severely under carbed at 5 days.

You can speed things along a bit and not risk over carbing by connecting the gas to the beer out post, then shaking the hell out of it until it takes no more gas. Connect back to gas post. Then forget.

There is a happy medium. Set the regulator to 30 psi for 24- 36 hours when you first connect the gas without shaking. Then reduce to serving pressure and give it a day or two. Works much faster than set and forget without the over carbing risk of shaking it.

There is a happy medium. Set the regulator to 30 psi for 24- 36 hours when you first connect the gas without shaking. Then reduce to serving pressure and give it a day or two. Works much faster than set and forget without the over carbing risk of shaking it.

This... works perfectly

Latest posts

Back