Force-carbing a lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
Quick question. From what I've read on these forums, many people will carb and lager at the same time. I only have a single CO2 tank and I need it back later this week so is there any issue with force-carbing it as I am lowering the temp (I just racked it to the keg and will start stepping down the temp now).

thanks gang!

Not a problem. As the temp drops the co2 will more readily dissolve, so keep an eye on the actual carbonation because it may be easy to overshoot.

Not a problem. As the temp drops the co2 will more readily dissolve, so keep an eye on the actual carbonation because it may be easy to overshoot.

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure if combing all these things at the same time might be an issue...and after trying a sample of this Marzen I'm brewing I think it's gonna be a beaut so I don't wanna screw it up!

Last edited:
If you need it free in a week then you can't do set and forget. If you are doing it over pressured for 48 hours or whatever you need to do it at a constant temp otherwise the carbonation level will be difficult to work out.

If you need it free in a week then you can't do set and forget. If you are doing it over pressured for 48 hours or whatever you need to do it at a constant temp otherwise the carbonation level will be difficult to work out.

Here's what I did...cranked it up to 30psi, and shook it for 20 mins...now I figure if I drop it to the high range for a lager at it's current temp (e.g. 24psi @ 59F) and adjust down each day (tomorrow 21psi @ 54F) it should be complete in 3-4 days or at least close, I can always add to it later if needed

Back